ultrasonic cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A note on using glass containers, they should be supported in the wire basket and not in direct contact with the bottom or sides of the cleaner as this can overload the transducer.
I put them on the plastic tray that came with the US cleaner.

I use vinegar, but never Simple Green. A manufacturer had a bulletin out about not using it many years ago. I can't remember the manufacturer, but it can etch metal in a way that will not allow o-rings to seal properly. I set mine to 50C.

I use vinegar, but never Simple Green. A manufacturer had a bulletin out about not using it many years ago. I can't remember the manufacturer, but it can etch metal in a way that will not allow o-rings to seal properly. I set mine to 50C.
I’ve heard of some manufacturer suggesting not to use Simple Green in the past but not the explanation why. Seems a little unlikely given how many people use SG on regs all the time without issues.

Regular Simple Green (not SG Crystal) has a dye and perfume which denatures at high temperature and sticks to components. I've found I couldn't get the smell out of my rubberized plastic pieces, even used cold in the sink. But I don't use more than a half teaspoon of SG Crystal in my homemade U/S solution. It's detergent action in a sink might require higher concentrations, but in the U/S, the detergent is really just a surfactant that improves the penetration of the solution. I'll do a hot wash with 1:15 Simple Green Crystal in the sink, but in the U/S, hardly any.
And apologies to @happy-diver , hot 50% phosphoric acid will EAT your chrome in minutes! My max is about 12% in the U/S, and 25% in a cold non-U/S soak, and both are for just a few minutes only. But you know that, and I presume you just left out the part that says "not very long!" :D

I’ve heard of some manufacturer suggesting not to use Simple Green in the past but not the explanation why. Seems a little unlikely given how many people use SG on regs all the time without issues.

Simple green (the regular green kind) can be corrosive to certain metals. Aluminum is one particular metal that you have to be careful with.

Simple Green Pro HD and Crystal are safer on metals. I use Pro HD for my gun parts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom