Gear Rinse - Maybe a better way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a beginning diver, but a few years ago I purchased an AL19 that I use solely for checking regs before a dive trip and then soaking regs overnight after a trip. The AL19 fits perfectly in the bathtub, and I get it filled 1-2 times a year.

I am happy with this purchase and am confident it helps clean the regs. In hindsight, perhaps I should have purchased an AL40, but I was worried that it wouldn't easily fit in the bathtub or the closet, so from a size perspective, the AL19 has been good. I would measure the size of your container (or tub).

Or get one of these. I've soaked tanks as big as two LP108s in this rinse bin (i.e. cattle/horse water trough). I've had it for years. Incredibly durable.

1663268507667.png

I like that idea! Question: why does the cylinder need to fit in the tub? Can't the regs be soaked if the cylinder is just outside the tub, if the hoses are long enough?

ETA: Oops the cylinder goes in the tub so that the first stage can also soak, correct?

I like that idea! Question: why does the cylinder need to fit in the tub? Can't the regs be soaked if the cylinder is just outside the tub, if the hoses are long enough?

ETA: Oops the cylinder goes in the tub so that the first stage can also soak, correct?

That is one reason, yes. I also soak my cylinders because I'm anal about my gear. Salt is the devil. Each of my cylinders gets a good rinsing but is also soaked for a couple of hours. I do this after each weekend/dive trip, not between days on a multiday trip. Just at the end when I am getting ready to store them until my next trip.

It is working well for me so far. I've not had a single issue with corrosion on any piece of gear since I started diving salt water almost exclusively 6 years ago. The shop always talks about how pristine my tanks always are when I bring them in for fill, VIP or hydro.

I am a beginning diver, but a few years ago I purchased an AL19 that I use solely for checking regs before a dive trip and then soaking regs overnight after a trip. The AL19 fits perfectly in the bathtub, and I get it filled 1-2 times a year.

I am happy with this purchase and am confident it helps clean the regs. In hindsight, perhaps I should have purchased an AL40, but I was worried that it wouldn't easily fit in the bathtub or the closet, so from a size perspective, the AL19 has been good. I would measure the size of your container (or tub).
It seems soaking is a very good idea. I think if I soaked my reg. I would still rinse it off with my hose since you'd figure once the salt comes off it in the tub now the reg is sitting in slightly salty water. Maybe that really doesn't matter, I don't know.

It seems soaking is a very good idea. I think if I soaked my reg. I would still rinse it off with my hose since you'd figure once the salt comes off it in the tub now the reg is sitting in slightly salty water. Maybe that really doesn't matter, I don't know.

You definitely should rinse and then soak. Just soaking is not enough. Rinsing with fresh, moving water under pressure is definitely a critical first step. The soaking comes second to remove any crystalized salt that wasn't remove via the rinsing.

Or get one of these. I've soaked tanks as big as two LP108s in this rinse bin (i.e. cattle/horse water trough). I've had it for years. Incredibly durable.

View attachment 743830
Ha, at the bottom of your ad:
1663278222094.png

double duty :)

You definitely should rinse and then soak. Just soaking is not enough. Rinsing with fresh, moving water under pressure is definitely a critical first step. The soaking comes second to remove any crystalized salt that wasn't remove via the rinsing.
Rinse first then soak---never thought of it in that order. Even so, I think you should re- rinse after the soak because the crystalized salt is now in the tub. But I guess I'm caught up in that idea.

Rinse first then soak---never thought of it in that order. Even so, I think you should re- rinse after the soak because the crystalized salt is now in the tub. But I guess I'm caught up in that idea.

Nah. The remaining crystalized salt is dissolved and diluted. As long as you are starting with enough water, the salt that gets into the water from the gear is a very small amount. Try tasting it sometime. It does not taste like salt. Just don't swallow. :wink:

The problem with soaking pressurized for me is sometimes I'm doing 4 regs at once and I don't have that many little tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom