Gear Rinse - Maybe a better way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with soaking pressurized for me is sometimes I'm doing 4 regs at once and I don't have that many little tanks.
I've never seen it before, but someone like Global must make a Female Scuba DIN fitting that attaches to a hose. Then it would be 4 hose whips manifolded to a tank. That would be an interesting setup.

I've never seen it before, but someone like Global must make a Female Scuba DIN fitting that attaches to a hose. Then it would be 4 hose whips manifolded to a tank. That would be an interesting setup.
The problem with soaking pressurized for me is sometimes I'm doing 4 regs at once and I don't have that many little tanks.
I made a splitter to use the BCD hoses as the connection to pressurize multiple reg sets off one source:

I made a splitter to use the BCD hoses as the connection to pressurize multiple reg sets off one source:
I just re-read that thread and it's a very cool setup for multiple reg rinsing under pressure !!

Hi @Johnoly

I have used Odor Eliminator for years, used to be called McNett Mirazyme. I've been fresh smelling for a long time :)
Here are 2 Gear Rinsing tips that I added this past year and have made a HUGE change. I'm a bug & lionfish harvester and ocean dive about every other week in S.E. Fla. I'm brutal on my gear and every trip I always break something small or big.

1st change I made was recommended by SB'er @Divin'Papaw . I used to use Simple Green to clean my wetsuits and gear when it started to smell or about every 4-5 trips. I started using his solution on every trip. It's called Revivex Odor Eliminator by Gear Aid. It's friggin Amazon cheap at $5 for a 10oz bag and you use a 1oz capful for 20 gallons of rinse water (about a rubbermaid tub size). You unscrew the built in measuring cap & dump it in the tub, using your fin to swirl it. I still soak my Regs & Pony first without the cleaner, then pull those, add cleaner and then put the BCD & everything else in the tub. I let it soak 30 mins, then hang it to dry WITHOUT rinsing out the soap. The solution continues to work eating bacteria while the gear dries. It's been 7 months & 40 dives of using it and zero damage to my BCD valves, SMB, reel, wetsuits or any other gear. It's cheap and no more musty gear smells.

View attachment 719157

2nd Tip change I did came from my regulator rebuilder. Every ~250 dives my IP pressure would creep up and when I took it in for a rebuild, they would SCREAM at me for not properly rinsing my regs because they were crusty & nasty inside. I used to do like everyone else, secure the dust cap and toss it in the fresh water. Finally he said, Look Johnoly, buy a 13ft pony bottle, and put an “ H “ valve on it. Then instead of rinsing with just a dust cap, you can “power rinse” the salt away in your fresh water. Fellow SB'er @2airishuman sold me his 13 pony with a handle. Screwed on a $95 DGX “H” valve and now I attach my pony & main reg sets and power rinse them. A couple of times, I grab the whole setup and shake it underwater as well as the 2nd stages and let it soak ~10 mins. I just took my regs in to be checked and they are as clean as a whistle, a Huge improvement and my monthly IP checks are rock solid and don't move. This was a big safety change for me because I've had crusty regs freeflow on some of the triple-digit-deeps where I dive.

View attachment 719158
(Tech diver's cringe at a 13 cuft Pony with an " H " Valve )

I just wanted to writeup 2 gear rinsing tips that proves you can still teach a longtime diver a new & better way to rinse & clean gear.
My routine is very simple. After each dive I rinse my regulators, dive knife, mask, and torch in a bath of hot water in my utility sink. I’ll leave that gear in there for the better part of a half hour. In the meantime I rinse my BCD, wetsuit, fins in any other gear in a big Rubbermaid trough in water from my garden hose to which I add Slosh. I agitate that gear in the water solution and then allow it to drip dry in my garage out of the sun. Every once in a while I may add some “Sink the stink” for odor control. This routine serves me very well and keeps my gear and good looking and smelling condition.

It seems soaking is a very good idea. I think if I soaked my reg. I would still rinse it off with my hose since you'd figure once the salt comes off it in the tub now the reg is sitting in slightly salty water. Maybe that really doesn't matter, I don't know.

I also rinse before the soak. What I actually do is:

1. Rinse on the boat while heading back in, if they have a hose and allow this. Often this is with all the gear on, but sometimes not.

2. At home in bathtub, put on the AL19 and pressurize, then rinse the first and second stages with warm water for a bitt.

3. Plug the drain, fill tub, and soak in warm water for as much time as I have.

I feel pretty good about this situation, but who knows in the end. Its the best I can do. As others have said, you can do it with any large container, but the bathtub is handy for me as I can do things as I am going to about other business. Plus easy hot water.

I also rinse before the soak. What I actually do is:

1. Rinse on the boat while heading back in, if they have a hose and allow this. Often this is with all the gear on, but sometimes not.

2. At home in bathtub, put on the AL19 and pressurize, then rinse the first and second stages with warm water for a bitt.

3. Plug the drain, fill tub, and soak in warm water for as much time as I have.

I feel pretty good about this situation, but who knows in the end. Its the best I can do. As others have said, you can do it with any large container, but the bathtub is handy for me as I can do things as I am going to about other business. Plus easy hot water.
My guess is the exact way you rinse probably doesn't matter as much as we may think it does, as long as you do something. I've used motel bathrooms a time or two myself.

Some great tips here. Been soaking my regs pressurized for 40 years. Being a PNW diver, I bring a big thermos with hot water to warm my gloves and hood during surface interval. Throw my second stages in, pressurized, so they get a good hour soak. Hit the purge a few times for agitation. Back in the warm water after second dive till all gear loaded. Pour the warm water over first stages when done. Masks, hood, gloves, knife, shears and computer in the empty thermos for the trip home. Bought a 75 gal tub for soaking gear at home. Leave my regs attached and pressurized till after the soak at home. Will occasionally put my drysuit on, climb in the tub and let that soak while drinking my beer. Vantucky hot tub.

Will occasionally put my drysuit on, climb in the tub and let that soak while drinking my beer.

Sounds kinda warm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom