Gonna buy a new dive computer, need some feedback!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Luna. Functionally speaking it is a great computer and easy to use, but was a little pricey at the time. The algorithm is excellent, and it has a great digital compass and useful feature-set.

I got mine when the model first came out several years back, and there were a few problems that have since been addressed by the manufacturer. The transmitter had to be replaced with the newly redesigned unit because of signal dropouts, and I also got a new strap put on due to a "formulation" defect that resulted in breakage. Thankfully Scubapro took care of both issues at no charge. I updated the firmware to 1.6, and it has worked great ever since.

If you decide to pull the trigger, I would order a fresh one with the new transmitter (shiny black plastic cover; not the matte one), rather than risk getting a floor model that may still suffer from the issues mentioned above.

Last edited:
The Galileo Luna is an excellent computer.

The price has come down making it a great value.

I have had the sol and Luna, atom 2, and suunto d9. If you already have the Luna in your thoughts, I would definitely recommend it. The scubapros are not as conservative as the suunto's so you can get a little more bottom time. The compass on the Luna and sol are very nice to have.

I have had Suunto's and now have a LUNA.
I much prefer the Luna. great compass, very reliable air intergration with almost no pairing issues.

From personal experience with a Cobra...I would consider today a wireless instead.

I have a tethered Suunto Cobra, instead of a wrist mount, that replaced the traditional analog console. In hindsight, keeping a tethered analog console as a backup, and using either another tether (another high pressure hose) or wireless module, would have been better. Though more expensive.
- backup
- easier to read off your arm, not having to unclip the Cobra

Both models the OP refers to are wireless.

The Uwater Galileo Luna looks bad-ass compared to the Suunto, bigger display with more info (it seems).

I have more then a 100 dives on my Galileo Sol. I love it.

Easy to read.
I use the Heart rate monitor to visualise how stress I'm during my dive.

I have the Vyper Air, and am not happy with how conservative it is. If you decide to go with the Vyper Air, pm me and we can talk about you buying mine :)

Thanks for all the answers I got. I have bought the Galileo luna today :)

Congrats!

I just got back from Cozumel yesterday, and all the new updates to my Luna worked perfectly. If you're planning a trip, make sure you buy some extra batteries to take with you. Both the transmitter and computer batteries are not common formats, and may not be readily available in many instances. Also, you might want to review the threat below regarding some of the rescent updates available on the Scubapro website:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/scubapro/421112-galileo-sol-software-versions.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom