Goliath Groupers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Saw a South Florida Diving Journal post this week (based on last weekend's dives I think) that said the Goliaths are beginining to aggregate. Does this mean the season has been off to a slow start and maybe will run later than usual. I'm looking at a Jupiter/WP trip the last weekend of September and wonder if the large numbers are likely to still be around. Looking back at my dive log I see that they were on the wrecks in numbers at the end of Sept. in 2011. Don't know if that was a fluke or typical. Would appreciate info from local folk or others who have dove end of Sept/first of Oct. Thanks.

There are so darn many goliaths on the wreck now, year round... you will be able to see several on every single local wreck in depths from 60 to 100 + feet. I imagine many will still be around for your trip.

Yeah, know there are several on the zion train but was wondering the odds for seeing 50+ on the wrecks.

Saw a South Florida Diving Journal post this week (based on last weekend's dives I think) that said the Goliaths are beginining to aggregate. Does this mean the season has been off to a slow start and maybe will run later than usual. I'm looking at a Jupiter/WP trip the last weekend of September and wonder if the large numbers are likely to still be around. Looking back at my dive log I see that they were on the wrecks in numbers at the end of Sept. in 2011. Don't know if that was a fluke or typical. Would appreciate info from local folk or others who have dove end of Sept/first of Oct. Thanks.
This is the time of the year that we go from having 3 to 10 goliaths on wrecks like the Zion or the Mispah or the Castor...to having 50 to 100 Goliaths on each one...that is what we mean by aggregation.....they come from far away, to form this huge mating population.... And it is getting awesome right now :) !!!!

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2013 at 06:41 PM ----------

Yeah, know there are several on the zion train but was wondering the odds for seeing 50+ on the wrecks.
If you want to see 50 to 100 on a wreck, the best way to plan this, is to get yourself on one of the boats doing a spawning dive, the night of the Full moon.

This is the time of the year that we go from having 3 to 10 goliaths on wrecks like the Zion or the Mispah or the Castor...to having 50 to 100 Goliaths on each one...that is what we mean by aggregation.....they come from far away, to form this huge mating population.... And it is getting awesome right now :) !!!!

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2013 at 06:41 PM -------

If you want to see 50 to 100 on a wreck, the best way to plan this, is to get yourself on one of the boats doing a spawning dive, the night of the Full moon.

There is a full moon starting 9/27 . Think they will still be around then? BTW, enjoy your daily post SFDJ.

---------- Post added August 22nd, 2013 at 06:41 PM ----------

Welcome back Dan!

1+ for the night Goliath Grouper dive. One of my favorite dives ever!

saw them all over key largo this weekend

3844ccad-1426-47db-a71f-d5e6ecac3d9a_zpseffa7c4a.jpg

Attachments

• 3844ccad-1426-47db-a71f-d5e6ecac3d9a_zpseffa7c4a.jpg
    3844ccad-1426-47db-a71f-d5e6ecac3d9a_zpseffa7c4a.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 362
i dove the mv castor on august 25 2013 and there were 50+ Goliath groupers there. all were hanging around the bow of the wreck. the stern is falling apart. the groupers were very friendly and mello allowing up close and personal encounters. very cool dive. (watch out for the mono filament line.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom