Goliath Grouper Jupiter Aggregate best time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrea1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Goliath Grouper Jupiter Aggregate best time?
I plan flying to Florida next fall, and dive in Jupiter to see the Goliaths. Possible are the days from 10.-14. September or 18.-22. September. Is there any difference to excpect concerning the groupers, are the lessen out towards end of September? So the earlier spot would be better? I will be on a LOB in the Bahamas the week bevore, and I want to dive Jupiter after. I have to book the LOB pretty soon, almost fully, and afterwards the scedule is fixed.
And: How many dives should I plan in Jupiter, to have a good chance to see the groupers? Thanks a lot for advice! Greetings from Vienna, Andrea

How many dives should I plan in Jupiter, to have a good chance to see the groupers?
Year round there are always a half dozen of 'resident' goliath groupers that make their home in Jupiter( & all over florida). As recently evidenced 3 weeks ago, October is still strong storms effecting Florida & the Bahamas, so trip insurance is recommended. On your question "how many dives" ? Schedule every day of your trip to dive since there are so many sites and different things to see. Even if it's a little bumpy for waves, you have a backup plan of diving at the famous Blue Heron Bridge to see swarms of silversides, octo's, seahorses, & on & on. There are plenty of tanks, rental gear, boats, and just wait until you hear of the great food places here to eat. Book early and Enjoy your trip!!

Hi @Andrea1

Either of those two periods should work out just fine for Goliath Grouper aggregation. I have found mid-September best. Some people like the time around full moon, in this case it is Aug 31 and Sept 29. Personally, I have not found the moon phase to be a critical determinant.

You probably want to dive several days and get in at least one dive on the Jupiter Wreck Trek and one on the MG-111. I would bet you would enjoy some Jupiter reef dives also.

Who are you going with to the Bahamas?

Hi @Andrea1

Either of those two periods should work out just fine for Goliath Grouper aggregation. I have found mid-September best. Some people like the time around full moon, in this case it is Aug 31 and Sept 29. Personally, I have not found the moon phase to be a critical determinant.

You probably want to dive several days and get in at least one dive on the Jupiter Wreck Trek and one on the MG-111. I would bet you would enjoy some Jupiter reef dives also.

Who are you going with to the Bahamas?
Not so sure about Bahamas, cause of the hurricane risk (I would like to repeat the Aquacat, but maybe better in spring). Eventually I can find some place around Jupiter with less probabiliti of hurricane. Maybe Roatan?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom