Goliath Grouper at MK 111 in Jupiter too

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive was awesome, and I don't think any pics could do justice to the immense numbers of Goliath Groupers and the mackeral groupies that enshouded them like locusts. One definitely has to experience the dive to appreciate the full impact they have upon divers. I for one am looking forward to more encounters!

With who? GG's or SBers?? :rofl3:

Sandy, great as always and you did a fantastic job as a DM - :D
Really enjoyed everything about Sunday's dives - this is a dive everyone should try to do - people go thousands of miles to Austraila to dive the "Cod Hole" or the wreck of the "Yongala" - but the aggregation off Jupiter is really something to see, and very unique - we must have seen 50 on Sunday.

everyone keep talking about goliath grouper but I havent herd anyone say exactly how big we are talking about, so if someone couuld please put a weight on some of these fish it would fill me in more on how big we are talking about. thanks

It's sorta like sharks; you see one underwater and 4 or 5 feet becomes 8 or 10......:no::shakehead::rofl3:

There were some over 200 lbs; I would say the honest weight of most were 80 - 150 lbs - still pretty good size - and when you can count 50 on a dive - its something! Don't believe the reports that they were 500 - 800 lbs - just not the case - but to see so many in one place.....wow!

Plus, when you see 6 or 8 around a pillar/column at this site - not something you ever get tired of seeing!

Nice pics, I did that same dive with Jupiter Dive Center on last Saturday (9/5) morning!

Agree 100%!

It's sorta like sharks; you see one underwater and 4 or 5 feet becomes 8 or 10......:no::shakehead::rofl3:

There were some over 200 lbs; I would say the honest weight of most were 80 - 150 lbs - still pretty good size - and when you can count 50 on a dive - its something! Don't believe the reports that they were 500 - 800 lbs - just not the case - but to see so many in one place.....wow!

Agree 100%!
You might be right. But, I can give a pretty fair assessment based on my experiences diving and some other judgement items...

I can fairly say this one is approx. 6' long and approx. 450-500 lbs... based on knowing the diver next to it (and that they can reach 8' and 1000 lbs)

6footer.jpg

I will not claim to be a marine biologist, but to me they look like a VW with a tail.

Posted via Mobile Device

I dove with Jupiter Dive Center six times since August 26th and have seen GG's on each trip. I don't dive the weekends but I will tell you that JDC rocks. They really take care of you and are very helpful to guys like me with bad knees climbing aboard.

Everyone aboard and at the Dive Center are great. It's a nice two hour ride for me and I like the fact they leave at 9am. They take care of all your needs and you can arrange a personal specialty dive if you need the extra experience.

Thanks JDC, Rory

Awwww, that's great, Joyce! You can request to do the barge again, especially if you have a bunch of people that want to do it. And you most certainly can request me to DM if you'd like......:D......just call them enough in advance before they make their schedule.

Awwww, that's great, Joyce! You can request to do the barge again, especially if you have a bunch of people that want to do it. And you most certainly can request me to DM if you'd like......:D......just call them enough in advance before they make their schedule.

Thanks! Will do. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom