Trip Report Back in SE FL 2021 part 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like it's gonna start to get windy and a bit rough Wed-Thu before subsiding a bit for the weekend. Hopefully you'll be able to dive Mon-Tue @scubadada. Wed looks very unlikely.

Fingers crossed!!! After having family visiting for 2 weeks in late November, a nasty cold following from the grandkids, and a week in Orlando with my wife ... I'm ready to dive this weekend!!

That's way north for you guys. We'll run way south out of WPB to horseshoe with @Steve Roquemore . Did you see mass qty's of Lionfish & lobsters? Small hogfish are usually on that site.
(edit-add) Just read Susan was on your same boat,,,,,,and she's a good huntress.
Yes, Susan was on the boat and we all dived in a loose group. Alex B was nice enough to carry the flag on both AM dives. I have dived with Susan many times over the years off Loggerhead.

Interestingly, I think Susan got the most lobster north and east of Horseshoe, at the end of the dive. They were in low profile cracks/ledges. Several were small and/or eggers, but she got a few. She mentioned you too :)

Dive 5 of Diving, Dec 13

Today was another day predicted to be 2-3 feet and building. It turned out to be a very nice day. I did two dives with Walker's Dive Charters out of Riviera Beach City Marina, West Palm. I went out with Capt Forrest, and guides/mates Joann and Ally. Seas were about 2 feet, water was 78-79 degrees, visibility was 60+ feet, mild north current.

Our first dive was at Bath &Tennis the second at Fishbowl/Flower Gardens. Nothing special on the dives, no sharks, turtles, Goliath Grouper. However, there were huge schools of Grunt, Spotted and Green Morays, and all the usual reef fish. It was a very relaxing day of diving.

I hope to get out tomorrow, Wednesday does not look good.

So, yesterday turned out to be my last day of diving for this trip. Fifteen dives, a little over 15 hours of diving in 5 days. I used 4 different operators out of 3 marinas. It pays to be flexible. This was a really great visit, exceeded my expectations at this time of year, in many ways :).

To answer @drrich question from earlier regarding four dives per day. For the 5 operators I generally use:
Jupiter Dive Center AM and PM dives every day
Starfish Saturday only
Loggerhead Saturday and Sunday
Narcosis Saturday and Sunday
Walker's Saturday and Sunday, also runs some night, Black Water Dives

So, yesterday turned out to be my last day of diving for this trip. Fifteen dives, a little over 15 hours of diving in 5 days. I used 4 different operators out of 3 marinas. It pays to be flexible. This was a really great visit, exceeded my expectations at this time of year, in many ways :).

To answer @drrich question from earlier regarding four dives per day. For the 5 operators I generally use:
Jupiter Dive Center AM and PM dives every day
Starfish Saturday only
Loggerhead Saturday and Sunday
Narcosis Saturday and Sunday
Walker's Saturday and Sunday, also runs some night, Black Water Dives

Today's forecast looked diveable (in theory). Did you decide not to dive or was your planned charter canceled? Winds and waves do look to be building throughout the day.

You're right @Divin'Papaw. Starfish, Loggerhead, and Narcosis are not going out today. I don't know about JDC. I may have been able to get out again with Walker's, but am having lunch with a very good friend who had to put his dog down yesterday due to extensive cancer :(

I rode my bike to the Boynton Inlet to see what it looked like. It is a beautiful day, mostly sunny, warm, mild wind from the NE. It was predicted to be 3-5 feet. The inlet has some modest swells, nothing much. The seas appear to be more like around 2 feet. Looks like it would have been a good dive day, at least, this morning. We'll see what tomorrow looks like. I'm very lucky that on the days that I don't dive, I can ride my bike and/or hike in the Scrub Natural Areas near me.

1639496272231.png

1639496301057.png

Today was much windier at the Boynton Inlet, from the east. There were large swells and breakers at the inlet and seas were much higher. Looks like some rain out there too.

1639594562774.png

1639594617951.png

So, that will do it for 2021, 6 visits, 94 dives. I hope to see you all next year for some great diving :)

I will post a few photos from this visit soon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom