Going Dry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I now have to find a small wing for the transpac for vacations. I was thinking either the little DR one or the Oxycheq Mach V 18lb., then I just need smaller weight pockets and I should end up with two more job suited rigs to dive. Any input on these set ups would be welcome.

Anyone have a good place to order Oxycheq online? No one around here sells their products.

Best Regards

Before you get the Oxycheq wing, find out how wide the centre panel is. Then have a look at the width of the came band slots on the Transpac. Now look at the diameter of your tank. Now have a think about the dynamics of this set up.

Before you get the Oxycheq wing, find out how wide the centre panel is. Then have a look at the width of the came band slots on the Transpac. Now look at the diameter of your tank. Now have a think about the dynamics of this set up.
Kern, I am a bit confused on what your saying here. I must be missing something.

I pulled my transpac apart last night. Once I remove the STA and the Halcyon wing there are no cam band slots on the Transpac I am left with just a semi rigid pad with mounting holes but I have the TranspacII if that makes a difference. Looking at the Oxycheq wing (At least on the web sites) it looks like I would have basically the same mounting config I had with the Eclipse. A SS bolt runs from the outside in through the STA, through the wing, through the transpac and it nuts off behind the protective Transpac pad. The tank bands go through the STA. Am I missing something on this?

Regards

Kern, I am a bit confused on what your saying here. I must be missing something.

I pulled my transpac apart last night. Once I remove the STA and the Halcyon wing there are no cam band slots on the Transpac I am left with just a semi rigid pad with mounting holes but I have the TranspacII if that makes a difference. Looking at the Oxycheq wing (At least on the web sites) it looks like I would have basically the same mounting config I had with the Eclipse. A SS bolt runs from the outside in through the STA, through the wing, through the transpac and it nuts off behind the protective Transpac pad. The tank bands go through the STA. Am I missing something on this?

Regards
No, I'm the one who's missed something.
Sorry, I'v never thought of using an STA on a Transpac. Always thought the wing nut's would dig into the back without the raised channel for them as per a BP. Sounds interesting. So you just bolt the STA straight through the soft pack & then cover the wing nut's with the backpad. You don't feel the nut's, it doesn't wear/tear the backpad? Do you have a photo of the set up, I'd be very interested in seeing it. Might have to borrow an STA & give it a try

Hang on, now I'm confused, no cam band slots on your Transpac. Maybe it's my poor terminology. I meant the webbing cam band retainers that are sewn onto the back of the Transpac.

No, I'm the one who's missed something.
Sorry, I'v never thought of using an STA on a Transpac. Always thought the wing nut's would dig into the back without the raised channel for them as per a BP. Sounds interesting. So you just bolt the STA straight through the soft pack & then cover the wing nut's with the backpad. You don't feel the nut's, it doesn't wear/tear the backpad? Do you have a photo of the set up, I'd be very interested in seeing it. Might have to borrow an STA & give it a try
The bolt uses a wing nut instead of a nut with the bolt sticking thorugh it so it is dispersed over a little larger area. I have never felt anything pocking me as the pad does a very good job covering the buts. I looked at the pad last night and there is no eveidence of the nuts damaging it in any way. I am not at home right now so I can not get a picture this moment but I will this evening.

Hang on, now I'm confused, no cam band slots on your Transpac. Maybe it's my poor terminology. I meant the webbing cam band retainers that are sewn onto the back of the Transpac.
My bad, I have used an STA since day one so I never realized the webbing for the tank bands was even there. The STA gives a lot of support to the tank and having it between the wing and the tank gives a nice added protection to the wing instead of the tank and bands rubbing on it. My eclipse looks like it has never seen water or been used. I like using the STA as it also give me more wing options.

Regards

Thanx Scott. I'm definitely going to give an STA a go. I'v got a couple of Tobins thumbwheels somewhere, cut a bolt to the right length .........

Oh, that's right, this thread is about going dry. I too am waiting with great haste for my Fusion Tech to arrive. :)

Thanx Scott. I'm definitely going to give an STA a go. I'v got a couple of Tobins thumbwheels somewhere, cut a bolt to the right length .........

Oh, that's right, this thread is about going dry. I too am waiting with great haste for my Fusion Tech to arrive. :)
I think you find you like the STA for a lot of reasons. One thing that is really nice is if you have multiple wings you can swap them out very quickly with out having to re-thread the bands every time which takes the most time. Not that it's a big deal. I am also putting my pac on a diet. I stripped off the waste padding and a few of the D-rings that I never use and going I am going put the 16lb weight pockets on it in place of the 32lb I currently have. It is getting nice and lite for travel. I think I still like this set up over a BP/W for travel because with less wet suit when diving in warm waters the shoulder and back pad are nice to have.

Hopefully the Fusion arrives soon and the ice on the lake goes away in time to give it try.

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom