Going dry? Need advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought an evo 2 a couple of months ago and only have 6 or so dives in it. So far I'm happy with it. It is definitely more restrictive than a wetsuit, can't compare it to a neo drysuit as I've never dived one. The 'restrictive-ness' I can live with 'cause being dry when it's cold is just fantastic.

They are pretty tough and I think if you found something tough enough to put a hole in the evo2, then a puncture in your suit would be the least of your worries.

I'm in agreement with that borg-ish person.

I have owned a Whites bi-lam, a DIR crushed neoprene, an OS Systems bag suit, a Diving Concepts tri-lam (still have), and, currently, a Fusion. The comfort and flexibility of the Fusion has me loving it. I've fixed the pocket sagging problem on my suit, so that's not an issue any more. I do struggle with the narrow ankles, but hey, I guess you can't have everything.

I've used the Fusion in water in to 30's (that's degrees), and also in Hawaii. It's great for warm water 'cause it's so light that it's easier to deal with than a wetsuit.

I've beat it up in a few wrecks (took my deep wreck penetration class in it) and it still looks great.

And the price is pretty good, too.

It's kinda' ugly, IMO.

The only thing I could add is that the Fusion is nearly idiot (err... new diver) proof. Set the arm valve on full vent and you have really decreased your task loading as you surface.

Dan

The only thing I could add is that the Fusion is nearly idiot (err... new diver) proof. Set the arm valve on full vent and you have really decreased your task loading as you surface.

Dan

I have a White's Fusion dry suit and really like it. I didn't take a dry suit course (yah, yah, I know that I should..) but it is so user friendly that with some pointers from friends who use dry suits, I got comfortable very quickly. Like Dan, I set the arm valve on full vent and it has made the venting process upon ascent much easier!

I dive in California and cold water is a fact of life. I love diving dry and would highly recommend the Fusion. You'll love diving dry!

(Unlike a certain group of "SB drysuit addicts", I'll never wear it in waters above 65F.
Just for the record, I'm not sure what "addicts" you're referring to, but some people where a drysuit in warm water because it is simply the right tool for the right job. Even in "warm" water, long deco hangs have long exposure times to water below a diver's body temperature, and a drysuit can often make the difference between staying warm or not. And a cold body does not off-gas as efficiently, making the drysuit (in those circumstances) a safer exposure protection choice. The second reason why a DS can be a good choice in warm water is for the backup buoyancy. Should a diver with multiple stages have a BC failure, a drysuit can be your buoyancy backup.

I can think two other reasons a drysuit might be the best diving choice in warm water, but I've already taken enough off-topic time.
The only thing I could add is that the Fusion is nearly idiot (err... new diver) proof.
Dan, as you have witnessed from me during my ccr transition, the two are not synonymous. :wink:

Just for the record, I'm not sure what "addicts" you're referring to, but some people where a drysuit in warm water because it is simply the right tool for the right job.

Maybe me... LOL. It takes a really compelling reason to make me dive in a wetsuit in anything under 80F water. :coffee:

Last winter I dove in Egypt in 77F water with my drysuit and I was happy I did .... my buddy and I were under water for 6-7 hours a day (over 5 long dives) and if you do that in a wetsuit you really get chilled. While other people were sitting out the night dive because they just couldn't face the cold we were out for 90 minutes all cozy and only coming back because that's how long the burn time on our el cheapo travel lights was. I love night diving anyway and there's nothing quite like diving with the perfect buddy and having the entire red-sea to yourself.

Yesterday I did a 92 minute low speed bimble in 60F there's just no way I would ahve done that in a wetsuit. After 92 minutes of being virtually motionless aside from the occasional flick of the ankles anyone in a wetsuit would have come out of that dive hypothermic.

R..

I'm leaning toward trilam, but the prices of custom cut suits are downright depressing, and I've never had much luck fitting into off the rack anything, so I don't have high hopes for pulling the right straw on drysuits. I hadn't considered the lack of motion if they don't fit right..

Is it usually pretty easy to rent drysuits? I've never really looked into it, but I've never noticed any hanging in the back of any shops. Are there any specific features to look for that may be less than the obvious like p-valves?

Make sure the exhaust valve is on your upper arm, not the wrist. You should always try to be as close to horizontal as possible in a dry suit. Your buoyancy will be affected when at or near vertical. So if you're flat and have to exhaust, you have to roll almost 90 degrees to get your valve high enough to exhaust. You might also get water down your wrist this way.

Pee valves are convenient, but I wouldn't use one on a suit I was renting.:shakehead: But as for renting, I'm sure there are some shops that have some extras to rent. You just have to look around.

The whole durability thing is in my opinion an internet gag. I've got a TLS350 which is the 2nd lightest/flexible suit on the market(fusion would be first, I'm guessing, but I've never even seen anyone wear it so I can't say). I haven't had a puncture from diving yet, and it's got over 100 dives on it(combined wreck penetration and cave diving.....not just swimming outside wrecks). The kneepads are starting to get that worn-in look, but they've still got years of life left in them.

From my experience, leaks are because of manufacturing defects or accessories, not because you tear a suit. Things like zip-seals, worn seals, worn zippers, worn seams, ect ect ect are reasons for leaks, and all the major suit manufacturers I've seen while diving(Moby's, Viking, DUI, Whites, Poseidon, USIA, Pinnacle, Bare....probably missed one) all seem to be of comparable aging quality. Sometimes they last, sometimes they don't. It's about aggregate reliability, and they all seem to be pretty similar, so I wouldn't stress too much over that or trying to put a number on how rugged suit A is versus suit B.

Concentrate on what features you want. I just picked up a pair of the SiTech "glove lock" dry-glove ring sets(not the older, more well despised pair that you squeeze on) and couldn't be happier with the ring system, not to mention having dry hands REALLY is that great(for me). Yesterday I did 2 155ft dives at 42* for 35 minutes on the bottom with another 30 in deco and my hands didn't even get cold! But maybe you want zip-seals, which means a DUI is your most likely candidate(they might install them on other suits at your request, not sure though). Maybe you like the off-set inflator valve of the Bare suits vs. most. Maybe a cut of one brand fits better than most, and you already mentioned your sizing may be difficult so this is a good area to concentrate on. Rockboots or attached boots....it's all personal preference.

What I'm getting at is that there is not one golden standard. Different suits for different preferences. Go try some out at demo days, or befriend some local divers to let you try their suits for a dive. Depends on where you live with renting them. In New Jersey it's not problem, but I haven't seen drysuits for rent south of NJ.

I'm really leaning toward a Fusion now, but fit is an obvious factor that I'll have to wait to test out. Thank you all for your thoughts, as always - most helpful.

Check out the new Fusion Tech Ltd. The superstretch neoprene skin holds the pockets well. I'm totally pleased with my Fusion! I've worn it in waters from 70 to 40 degrees... and always been warm. Just vary the layers underneath and no mater what the suit fits snug. Excellent suit, and reasonably priced too!

I love my DUI TLS350 signature series, no complaints, keeps me warm/dry and fits great... I see a lot of people in fusions and IMO they look like power rangers lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom