Going dry? Need advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm really leaning toward a Fusion now, but fit is an obvious factor that I'll have to wait to test out. Thank you all for your thoughts, as always - most helpful.

Yes, fit is a major factor. If you can't get the undergarment in the suit you need you won't be warm. I would lean toward a custom fitted suit if you can afford it and if it's available from the manufacturer you choose. I started with a USIA (made near Portland, OR) I think it's more of a 2 ply but I was in hurry for a wreck class trip on Vancouver Island and took the suit off the shelf. It looks kinda bulky on me but it served me well. I now dive an Apollo (4mm neoprene) which I bought from a friend who lost a ton of weight and a great price. I really like this suit. It swims with less resistance and seems to be warmer for me. I got a diverite pocket glued onto it but I prefer the exhaust valves of the USIA better.

USIA
+ valves, boots (replacable), light weight, quick to dry, easy to patch, can have choice of zipper location (have been told one of the best is at waist where you can roll it up plus it's a self donning placement), plenty of room to gain weight(is that a plus?), requires less weight if you wear compressible insulating undergarments.
- baggy (depends on your body type and size), back air bubble, needed to wear gaitor to keep air out of the boots.

Apollo
+ less resistance swimming, slimmer fitting, warm.
- no pocket, exhaust valve is slow, when boots wear out you replace suit, neoprene will wear out and start to leak, maybe a little more weight required due to the uncontrolled air content of the neoprene suit material at the surface.
I'm neutral on the boot exhaust valves.

Just wanted to give you some more ideas on dry suit comparison that you may not be aware of. There are all sorts of options to each suit but highly dependent on the manufacturer and material chosen. I've seen some guys and gals really fill out the USIA and who would never get into an Apollo.

Check out SANTI drysuits. I have acquired the Enduro and it is very well built. The nice thing is that it comes with everything included. None of that $50 for seals, $60 for suspenders, $120 for a pocket bull****. The suit comes with the best undergarment on the market, all Thinsulate and it is very well put together. A lot of thought went into this and it was developed with the help of cave divers.
Check out SANTI Dry Suits Undersuits for Divers - made to measure at a reasonable price! Dry suits, thermal underwear or SantiUSA.com - Diving Equipment.
Their suits are semi-custom and they can also totally custom make one for you which includes custom built undergarment.

Chris L.

I had a 4mm crushed neo suit, but found it too heavy and restrictive. It WAS warm, though.

Then I bought an Evo2 trilam and I am very happy with it. It's much more flexible.

Next time I get some money burning a hole in my pocket I may get a Fusion. The thought of even MORE mobility is really appealing. There are some issues with the pockets I guess, but I have never heard anyone complain about the suit's fit or function.

I dive with several people that have various dry suits.....
FUSION HANDS DOWN,,,, BEST ON THE MARKET. SPEND THE MONEY WORTH EVERY PENNY.
Don't get the boots. booties work fine. I have the lighter weight undergarments they are perfect. The others were to hot. We dive all year round in NC.

email me if you have questions
daniel@mcintyrenc.com

i have used the fusion and was not impressed it was difficult to put on and yes i did it how the video said to it was still snug sliping over heavy undergarments. I use a wites nexus 3 trilam love it its durable comfortable in and out of the water and can have either over boots or attached boots and its cheeper then a fuison. my dad dive a diverite 906 exp trilam he also loves his. people we know with both said they love their suits most have overy 200 dives in the suit and it still looks almost new and they are cave and wreck divers

Well I have a TLS350 Signature Series. I love it. I have about 56 dives on it.

Many as a Public safety dive such as rivers, lakes, ponds, mud, and rocks quarry.

I also own a white fusion as some may remember I had trouble with my local dive shop over my whites suit they replaced it with a fusion , not the suit I really wanted but they took all new measurements and gave me whole new suit with all the trimming , they didn’t have the tech cover then wish they did. Both suits dive ok, however my DUI is far more superior in strength and just feels stronger more durable. with extra zip seals ECT mine was 2600.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom