GLWC Meet and Greet III "Bigger Wetter"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skipraha:
...a newbie wothout drysuit training could deal with the water temps at that time of year in a 7mm? I'm guessing it will be a little colder than the water in Puerto Morelos where I will be finishing my referrals next month :wink: If it's possible to do it wet without turning into a scuba-sickle, count the newbie in.

Don

Already been done, last weekend oh yea it was a 6.5mm suit. So, it is doable.....THEREFORE YOU ARE IN.

Anyone actually staying around until Sunday? We'd like to come.. but couldn't make it until Saturday evening.... :(

I have a fresh load of vacation and I work afternoons. I plan to show up as an "advance scout" on Friday like last year and stay through Sunday unless the weather is horrid. Come on down!

Vacation??? What is that? I have over 75 days saved up, haven't taken any in a long time. Going to use some though real soon, this summer in Pensacola (sorry, there's an aircraft carrier that is calling my name). Planning that one right now, when I get word from my buddy there, it's time to get wet. Plan on being in the first sortie to bomb it. :eyebrow:

AmyJ:
Anyone actually staying around until Sunday? We'd like to come.. but couldn't make it until Saturday evening.... :(

There will be some folks who pop in for a few hours - the core contingent will likely make a weekend of it....

Time to worry about getting that drysuit to fit and new undergarments. I picked up a beater off ebay for $150, needs a little work....

-Tim

Ok folks, I had mentioned this to Brian and I think that this would be an awesome thing for all of us to do. Let me know if your interested and I will begin the task at hand.

Cindy Halsey, Okaloosa County Artificial Reef Coordinator, called and reported that the 888 feet long aircraft carrier ex Oriskany (CVA-34) with the assist of five tugs safely docked at the Port of Pensacola at 7:30 p.m. Central Time on Monday evening December 20, 2004. Two tugs towed the vessel from Corpus Christi, TX beginning 9:30 a.m. Central Time Wednesday, December 15, 2004, following the Oriskany’s 7:30 a.m. tug assisted movement away from the dock at Texas Dock and Rail. Rough seas during the dead tow slightly delayed the estimated time of arrival of the ship at the Port of Pensacola. The average tow speed was five nautical miles per hour.

Channel Three local news filmed the sunset approach of the Oriskany to Pensacola. The U.S. Coast Guard waived the daylight docking requirement to allow for after dark operations to berth the ship, due to the vessel’s size and the number of assist tugs involved. The Coast Guard felt that bringing the ship on in after dark would not tie up the channel during daylight vessel traffic periods. The vessel is expected to remain at the Port of Pensacola until its final voyage to the SE corner of the FWC Escambia East Artificial Reef Large Area, 22.5 nautical miles southeast of Pensacola Pass where it will be sunk by the Navy as an artificial reef during the summer of 2005.

So far the date works for me. I can offer it as a "warm-up" (LOL!) dive for my spring advanced class like I did last year. It doesn't count toward their required dives for the class but they do get to see what "real" diving is about. The class starts the end of March so can we have the date finalized by then so I can put it on my syllabus?

Skipraha:
Depends on how easily you get cold. We can give you some tips to keep you from turning into a scubacicle. My students who went last year said it wasn't nearly as bad as I had said it would be. A 6.5 or 7mm suit, a hoot that fits well and covers most of your face and a pair of 3-finger gloves should have you in business. Besides even if you only do one dive you can still hang out for the social aspect of diving, this group is a lot of fun on the surface too!

DMP
I'm not single but I can bring my stick and be in charge of the beatings :eyebrow:

Looking forward to seeing you all again, hopefully nothing comes up to keep me from attending.
Ber :lilbunny:

Myself and the GLWC Bunk house will be there early FRI. As soon as I know what date is going to be official to take off from work. and I will be staying until Sun. So like last year Brian and I will be official greeters. Did Tony get the sign from Tom? if not I can stop over his house and get it.

Ber Rabbit:
DMP
I'm not single but I can bring my stick and be in charge of the beatings :eyebrow:

Looking forward to seeing you all again, hopefully nothing comes up to keep me from attending.
Ber :lilbunny:

Promises, promises (jk) Anyway, has anybody told Jess about this yet?

For those interested in trying drysuits, there will be a spare medium suit with ex-large boots there :) . Drysuit "tutoring" may be available as well, but I can't promise that. We have several members that got into drysuit diving at this Meet and Greet last year though.

Back
Top Bottom