Gloves: Waterproof or 4th Element

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Seems like it's time to get new gloves. I am mainly a dry glove user but there is the rare occasion that I use neoprene gloves in cold water because I need to be removing stuff and fiddling a lot etc. For that kind of stuff I use 5mm (thicker and I just can't get anything done).

I am looking for people with experience with either Waterproof Crux 5mm or the new 4th Element 5mm glove (Fourth element). Those are the front runners for me. I have been using 4mm Pinnacle Merino lined Karbonflex, and like it but it is not locally available and their sizing runs wild (as in I already once ordered same size as I had and it was totally different than my old pair).

Both Waterproof and 4th E have a size that is nice and snug for me but I have not yet seen any reviews. I like my Waterproof hood a lot but am curious about the 4th Element. It's kind of weird feeling though with the very rubbery palm.

I am particularly interested in the warmth factor as my fingers freeze easily. Any info how these two gloves have performed?

I own the 4th element 5mm gloves. I am not a particularly warm or cold person, but I just had them in the Atlantic, and they were fine @ 64 degrees, but not adequate at 55 degrees. I would think as long as you are diving in 60 degree water and up it shouldn't matter. Get the ones that fit better. But I have tried on the waterproof crux 5mm and it fit nice, I didn't get b/c I wanted to try on a small. I have read that the crux zipper can come unzipped during diving.

Both seem to be built using minimum amount of neoprene cutting and the 4th element gloves are sealed, and very stretchy. They are a bit longer and easily pull over the wrist of a drysuit or wet suit.

I have neoprene dry gloves by xs scuba. They are called the dry 5. They have an inner seal that fits under or over the drysuit seal and a cuff that folds over that. While neoprene they are a true dryglove. Fully sealed and flexible without those stiff rings.

The issue I had when trying on the Waterproof gloves is the zipper always came undone... I'm using a set of 5mm similar to jim and they work great! Just have to get the seal flat :)

I have neoprene dry gloves by xs scuba. They are called the dry 5. They have an inner seal that fits under or over the drysuit seal and a cuff that folds over that. While neoprene they are a true dryglove. Fully sealed and flexible without those stiff rings.

Jim - Do you get squeeze with those gloves?

The zipper was one thing that I was eyeing suspiciously with Waterproof. Great for donning but thanks for the feedback about reliability. Definitely a big tick in the cons column.

I own the 4th element 5mm gloves. I am not a particularly warm or cold person, but I just had them in the Atlantic, and they were fine @ 64 degrees, but not adequate at 55 degrees. I would think as long as you are diving in 60 degree water and up it shouldn't matter. Get the ones that fit better. But I have tried on the waterproof crux 5mm and it fit nice, I didn't get b/c I wanted to try on a small. I have read that the crux zipper can come unzipped during diving.

Both seem to be built using minimum amount of neoprene cutting and the 4th element gloves are sealed, and very stretchy. They are a bit longer and easily pull over the wrist of a drysuit or wet suit.

Locally there isn’t a place that would not be below 55F when you get below 50-55ft. I know there won’t be a wet glove to keep my hands warm for long. I am hoping to need them only when I fidget in shallows trying stuff out and practicing with shorter forays deeper.

The XS Scuba ones look interesting but one question comes to mind. As they look like they seal pretty well, are they also more of a pain to get on and off? This is one main thing why I am looking for the wet gloves - for those few dives when I might need to remove gloves and get them back on again without tearing my hair out. If they need venting to keep squeeze off they are out of question for my purpose.

Jim - Do you get squeeze with those gloves?

If you put the glove seal under the drysuit seal then you get no squeeze because there is some air flow to the hands. And being neoprene I can't see any squeeze being an issue with these gloves. They fit well and there is not much to compress, at least with my hands in them. They actually do fit like a glove!:D Sorry could not resist that one.

I recently purchased the 4th Element 5mm gloves and like them. They have great mobility and feel. I dove last weekend in the quarry and at 54 degrees, they were okay, but I was starting to feel the cold a bit. Since they and my wet suit are both new, I haven't quite figured the over/under yet, so it may just be a matter of adjusting which is on top.

Besides the great fit and mobility, they also look really cool.

Jim - Do you get any water leaking into the Dry 5's?

I use the dry 5 myself, and as long as you make sure the seal is flat all around, you will have no problems. In regards to the squeeze as Jim said, the neoprene is so soft that although you can see the squeeze when you look at them, you won't feel it.

Back
Top Bottom