Buying my first 5mm - 4th Element, Bare, Pinnacle, Others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my ScubaPro EverFlex 3/2mm and 5/4mm suits, I wear a XXL and they fit just right.

Do you find the ScubaPro size table to be correct?

I've been eyeing up the 5/4mm Everflex for a while now, but that diagonal zipper that everyone hates has stopped me buying one. They've just released a new version pushing environmental-sustainable-recycled-Yada Yada yada.........and quietly put a vertical zipper back on them.

Now that the only thing I didn't like is gone, I may have to order one.

Hey getting my first 5mm, and currently have a 3 MM older Henderson.

I heard a lot of good things about 4th element, Bare and Pinnacle. Any other brands or models I should consider. I am 5'9 (179) pretty broad/athletic.

Cheers!
I am 5’9” like you but a bit heavier (approximately 195 lbs) and just love my BARE XL Short as the leg length is great and I have no bunching of the wetsuit in the crotch area trapping extra water. I believe Fourth Element also does short models for people up to 5’ 10”.

I have very broad shoulders, so always between M-L... I like it snug but also like to be able to wear a vest if I need to (making the 5mm semi-dryish).

I got the L BARE yesterday and it was way big, spec. crotch, so it seems I will have to do the BARE, if Scuba pro steamer doesnt prove to be a winner.

I have a Henderson 5mm Aqua Lock Quick Dry wetsuit and absolutely love it. Super quick drying and has the warmth of your average 7mm, in my experience.

I never owned a 5 mm but of those I've rented I liked Cressi's. Currently I own 3 mm Henderson (likely, the same as you have) and IST shortie.

Any other brands or models I should consider. I am 5'9 (179) pretty broad/athletic.
Hi @kleinson,

I would suggest that the best suit is less about the brand and most about the fit. Check your measurements carefully against the various manufacturers' fit chart, and if anything is off by more than an inch or so, consider a custom-fit suit.

Hope that helps,
Derek & the crew at JMJ

Do you find the ScubaPro size table to be correct?

I've been eyeing up the 5/4mm Everflex for a while now, but that diagonal zipper that everyone hates has stopped me buying one. They've just released a new version pushing environmental-sustainable-recycled-Yada Yada yada.........and quietly put a vertical zipper back on them.

Now that the only thing I didn't like is gone, I may have to order one.

I really couldn't say. I went into the store and tried suits on. I was expecting to need an XL, based on my clothes sizes, not a SP size chart. I ended up needing an XXL.

Also, just FYI, my SP suits are older, from before they started using that diagonal zipper. Well, except my 7/5, which has the diagonal zipper and which I hate for that reason. That is why I never bought another SP suit. I didn't know they have gone back to straight zippers. Good to know.

I'm about ready to get my third 4th Element Proteus II. Highly recommended.
I've been using the company for years for most of my exposure gear.

I bought a 4E Proteus II a few years back and I‘ve never looked back (at least above 19 C to mid/upper 20s … colder and I‘ll go dry, warmer, I‘m in my 4E Thermocline). Great suit, but then it fits me well. Might be the same with cheaper suits if they fit tightly. SP was always too wide for me - not their fault, I‘m just too skinny. I also like Waterproof (my favorite dry suit), but their wet suits never fit (and seemed a little stiff). Bottomline: go try them on. The brand is only a relatively small part of the equation beyond a reasonable minimal price point.

Cheers, C.

I really couldn't say. I went into the store and tried suits on. I was expecting to need an XL, based on my clothes sizes, not a SP size chart. I ended up needing an XXL.

Also, just FYI, my SP suits are older, from before they started using that diagonal zipper. Well, except my 7/5, which has the diagonal zipper and which I hate for that reason. That is why I never bought another SP suit. I didn't know they have gone back to straight zippers. Good to know.

Thanks for the reply. I'm committed now, but with out spending too much. My 3mm suit is compressing and getting cold, and by chance a barely used 3/2 everflex (with the wonky zipper) came up for sale at a good price. According to the SP table it'll fit, so I took a chance on it. I hope that zipper isn't as bad as most people say.

That'll be the test for sizing, as spending $580 for the 5/4 without trying it on is a risk I don't want to take.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom