Buying my first 5mm - 4th Element, Bare, Pinnacle, Others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have owned the Bare and more recently the Waterproof. I don't think you can go wrong with either but I like the Waterproof just a little bit more. Both have kept me warm. I just prefer the details on the Waterproof.

Have always wanted to try the Fourth Element. Seems to be another great option for a 5mm

I love my Henderson Greenprene. Compared to my Bare, it is a bit fuzzier inside and the build quality is a bit better around the seams. You can't go wrong with either.

I love my Henderson Greenprene. Compared to my Bare, it is a bit fuzzier inside and the build quality is a bit better around the seams. You can't go wrong with either.

It might be helpful to know which Bare you're talking about.

Don't see it in the line up any more. My guess it was compatible to the mid-line Revel.

I love my Fourth Element Proteus II.

It is fully lined and had very good seals at wrists, ankles and especially the neck. The design puts an extra layer under the zipper. The least water flow through I've had in a wetsuit. Pee at the start of the dive and it will still be there at the end!

It was of similar quality, seams and lining to the Bare reactive when I compared them in the shop.

For me and of my friends (all different sizes and shapes) it fits as per their sizing chart.

Only drawback - takes a longer time to get on than other wetsuits I've used and has no loops at the wrist to thread your computer strap through.

Got my BARE Reactive 5mm yesterday and it is snuuuug. Even though I choose the suppose right size according my measurements. Anyone find it snug when dry? or not exactly true to size?

Called around my local dive shops no-one have 5mm W7 in stock, only 7mm. And paragondivestore.com wants $30 shipping and $25 restocking if I order and send back...$75 to try a suit is a little unreasonable imo.

So now I am contemplating the Scubapro Everflex Steamer 5mm...I was not a fan of the 3mm, but maybe 5mm fits different. I can also return it for free worst case.

I heard a lot of good things about 4th element, Bare and Pinnacle. Any other brands or models I should consider. I am 5'9 (179) pretty broad/athletic.

Cheers!
I am using a 7 mm BARE, in Northern California, and couldn't be happy with its construction and finishing (the zipper cannot catch on any "raw" rubber edge) -- a bit like the late-lamented O'Neill 7 mm wetsuits and drysuits but with greater attention to detail . . .

Got my BARE Reactive 5mm yesterday and it is snuuuug. Even though I choose the suppose right size according my measurements. Anyone find it snug when dry? or not exactly true to size?

Called around my local dive shops no-one have 5mm W7 in stock, only 7mm. And paragondivestore.com wants $30 shipping and $25 restocking if I order and send back...$75 to try a suit is a little unreasonable imo.

So now I am contemplating the Scubapro Everflex Steamer 5mm...I was not a fan of the 3mm, but maybe 5mm fits different. I can also return it for free worst case.

If it's snug, but not uncomfortable, that sounds just right.

A note on sizing: In my Bare Reactives (3 and 5mm, both), I wear an XL. I really should be a XXL Short, but Bare's cut for that particular size is seriously retarded and it doesn't fit me. A normal XXL is too long in the sleeves and legs but just right around the torso, so it's XL for me. It is very snuuuug around my torso ('cause I really need to lose a bunch of weight), but just right in the arms and legs. Fortunately, it is a very stretchy suit.

In my Waterproof W7 5mm, their size chart led me to order an XXL. It was way too big. A customer ordered a Large Plus and it was too big for him. Turned out to be perfect for me.

In my ScubaPro EverFlex 3/2mm and 5/4mm suits, I wear a XXL and they fit just right.

So, the real point is, sizing on suits is all over the place from every manufacturer, and their size charts cannot necessarily be relied upon. I'm a Large Plus in one brand, an XL in another brand, and an XXL in yet a third brand.

It's extremely aggravating, but it IS the current state of affairs.

I am quite happy with my Waterproof W4 5mm. True to size, really nice design -- lots of separate pieces of neoprene...more seams but a better fit than my Scubapro 5/4mm, and better zippers too. The W4 is just a tiny bit looser around the neck, or maybe the material is about 1/2 inch lower, but not a big deal.

Oh, the W4 also seems to be discontinued, so if you can find it in your size, you may also get a good discount. Mine was about $275, shipped, purchased in December.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom