Buying my first 5mm - 4th Element, Bare, Pinnacle, Others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kleinson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey getting my first 5mm, and currently have a 3 MM older Henderson.

I heard a lot of good things about 4th element, Bare and Pinnacle. Any other brands or models I should consider. I am 5'9 (179) pretty broad/athletic.

Cheers!

I have 2 favorite 5mm wetsuits.

Bare Reactive is my favorite for warmth.

Waterproof W7 is my favorite when I want pockets. I feel like it is not quite as warm as the Bare Reactive, otherwise it would be my overall favorite for everything.

If I only had 1 5mm, I think it would be the Waterproof, because it IS warm and I love having the thigh pockets. They're stretchy, so they don't flap/flop around when they're empty. But, they're big enough to hold things like a spare mask or a wetnotes notebook. And, with the zippered wrists and ankles and the inner seals there, the suit mates up to the Waterproof boots and gloves extremely nicely, to make it seal up almost like a semi-dry suit.

The wrist and ankle seals are smoothskin on the outside. The boots and gloves have smoothskin on the inside. Get the suit's seals in place and tuck them in on themselves, so there is smoothskin against your skin. Then put on the boots and gloves, so it's smoothskin of boot/glove laying on top of smoothskin seal. Then zip sleeve/leg over the boot/glove. Seals up well!

I have a Bare Sport 5 mm. It has probably over 75 dives on it and is still in great shape. It's as warm as my 7 mm Pinnacle suit, in fact I no longer wear a 7 mm as if its too cold for my 5 mm then it's time for the drysuit. Bare suits fit my body style better than any other brand when trying on, so try on if you can as some of the manufacturers are sized pretty differently. I glued pockets onto it, as mentioned above the Bare wetsuits don't (that I know of) have an option with pockets.

Can't comment on the Fourth Element you mentioned but I would take a Bare over a Pinnacle based on experience.

I'm also a fan of Bare Reactive. I've worn my 3mm+hood when others were in 5 or 7mm. It was cool, but not cold after an hour. (I'm about average on tolerance, judging from when I wore other wetsuits.) They seem to have a bunch of sizes, and the sizing chart has been pretty spot on for me.

If you can find last-season's stock, there are major deals to be had.

Thanks! I was looking at the Velocity Ultra as a friend has that in 5mm and loves it. Any ideas of the difference between Reactive and Velocity.

Cheers!

Waterproof W7 is my favorite when I want pockets. I feel like it is not quite as warm as the Bare Reactive, otherwise it would be my overall favorite for everything.

If I only had 1 5mm, I think it would be the Waterproof, because it IS warm and I love having the thigh pockets. They're stretchy, so they don't flap/flop around when they're empty. But, they're big enough to hold things like a spare mask or a wetnotes notebook. And, with the zippered wrists and ankles and the inner seals there, the suit mates up to the Waterproof boots and gloves extremely nicely, to make it seal up almost like a semi-dry suit.
This suit looks solid, and might be a good alternative now that I am moving away from my pockets in my jacket BCD to xDeep Zen for travel. Thanks!

Thanks! I was looking at the Velocity Ultra as a friend has that in 5mm and loves it. Any ideas of the difference between Reactive and Velocity.

Cheers!

The Velocity is only partly lined, I believe, where the Reactive is fully lined.

The Reactive should be a little warmer.

I buy the warmest suits I can (for the thickness I'm buying). I'd rather wear a really warm 5mm than a 7mm that is only equally warm (for example). Or a really warm 3mm than a 5mm that is only equally warm.

I got my son a 3mm Velocity (cuz cheaper than the Reactive), and he was cold in it. In fairness, it was winter in Hawaii (which is colder than most people think) in the wind with no sun. I was good in my 3mm Reactive. He now has a 5mm Pinnacle (cuz cheaper than the Reactive at the time).

Another vote for the Bare Reactive. I have both 3 and 5mm Bare Reactives, and they are definitely warmer than my old Bare Elastek, which was a really good wetsuit. Although I use my 5mm in 71F spring water, primarily because I have it, I could easily get by with the Reactive 3mm for one or two dives a day. When I bought the Reactives, I assumed the "warmer" claims were mostly hype, but in my opinion, they are definitely warmer. In addition, Bare's wide range of sizes gave me a perfect fit for an off the rack wetsuit.

Another vote for the WaterProof W7. I own a 7mm W7 which I combine with a 5mm hooded vest for diving in 50°F water. Previously, I used to rent a BARE farmer jonh and jacket combo. I find the W7 and vest combo to be warmer and more flexible.

The seals at the wrists and ankles of the W7 keep water from constantly flowing in and out. That helps keep you warm. It has zippers at the wrists and ankles which are convenient for donning on/off the suit and putting on boots and gloves. The internal microfiber layer dries quickly, makes it easy to put the suit on when wet, and doesn't feel sticky. The buil-in pockets are stretchy enough for a spare mask or DSMB/reel.

Good luck with your search.

Back
Top Bottom