Giving the 7mm wetsuit a little trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done 8 dives in puget sound when the water temp was 47-48 in my 7mm suit and a hood that doesn't even tuck into the wetsuit. I'm always cold at the end of a 40 minute dive but I've never had to come up due to excessive cold. I know I'm not helping with your question at all, just wanted to let you know that there are other crazies in mid 40s water in wetsuits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the last poster. It just depends on how you respond to the cold. I dove all winter in a 5mm in temps as low as 44, with hood/gloves of course. My dive time was limited to about 30 minutes or so, but completely doable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree with the last poster. It just depends on how you respond to the cold. I dove all winter in a 5mm in temps as low as 44, with hood/gloves of course. My dive time was limited to about 30 minutes or so, but completely doable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Absolutely, I'd go into cardiac arrest wearing a wetsuit in water in the 40s. I wear a full 5mm in the tropics with gloves, boots and often hood and I'm comfortable. I wear a two piece FJ with hood in water temps of around 75-78 and am comfortable. I tried a 3mm last year in Thailand and was uncomfortably cold by day 2. Once the temp drops to around 70 I'm in a drysuit.

Many things that seem uncomfortable out of the water or in a pool will never be noticed when you are underwater. I suspect the neck will be a non-issue underwater and I would hate to have you decrease warmth on your neck or increasre the rate at which fresh, colder water flushes into yor suit. I suggest you wear the suit underwater a few times before you use the scissors.
If 7mm isn't enough insulation, try adding a 5mm shorty/hooded shorty over the suit. I have dove water that temp in a 7mm suit and it was fine underwater - getting dressed/undressed and sitting out a surface interval was the painful part. I always just had trouble keepng my hands warm - 3-finger gloves are significantly warmer!

I'm generally pretty cold tolerant, but I don't think I've experienced water temps below 47 F when diving wet and those were pretty chilly in my 7mm with hooded vest. I've done many dives with a minimum temp of 50 F and that seemed noticeably warmer!

I think you'd probably be fine cutting the wetsuit, but take it slow and be more conservative at first.

When you look at the jackets in FJ setups, they have a dip in the front of the neck too. Without a hood this causes issue as you can get a lot of water exchange there. With a hood, it seals against the hood and does fine.

I'd just suggest making that trim in stages... Trim a bit, then try the suit. Repeat if necessary. Once it's cut, it's cut!

Also, remember that new suits tend to be pretty stiff. You might very well find that after a few dives, it's limbered up some. Henderson's are known for their good stretch.

I picked up a new 3mm this winter for a trip and ran it through the washing machine a couple of times to limber it up a bit. Don't put it in the dryer, but a good wash tends to soften the material a bit.

Whatever you do, don't buy one of the "self-trimming" wetsuits like I did:

wetsuit hole in butt 2014-05-03-cs.jpg

Is that what is meant by a rear dump?

Back
Top Bottom