Ginnie 3-18-2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ginnie will allow any person holding at least an OW certification to dive the ballroom, and while in my limited experience it was an easy dive, I could see how someone could actually get into some trouble in there if you start exploring behind the rocks on the opposite wall of the grate. I had taken the camera in there as well, although unfortunately it was too dark for the camera to really pick up much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3mbBJpsGtg

I understand that, what I am talking about is divers swimming down the river & dropping down into the cave system, also reading where several of them were taken there by their instructor during a OW class.

From The body of Steve Bennett of Hendersonville, Tenn.,was found in a cave in Ginnie Springs after he apparently drowned during a dive. | Gainesville.com
A Tennessee man’s body was found Sunday in a cave in Ginnie Springs after he apparently drowned while diving there two days earlier, police said.

Steve Bennett, 59, of Hendersonville, Tenn., arrived at the springs, situated west of High Springs in Gilchrist County, on Friday and rented diving gear from the privately owned Ginnie Springs Outdoors park and campground, Gilchrist County Sheriff’s Office Lt. David Aderholt said Monday.
Aderholt said an investigator found a certificate in Bennett’s car allowing Bennett to do open-water diving, though it wasn’t clear whether he was certified to dive in caves.
“Whether or not he had any experience in terms of cave diving, we do not know,” Aderholt said.
Bennett’s body was found by a group of divers in the cave system at the Devil’s Eye portion of the springs.
There didn’t appear to be anyone else diving with him.
“It appears he arrived alone and was diving alone,” Aderholt said.
The body was taken to the Medical Examiner’s Office in Gainesville for an autopsy.

Found the cert card in his car? Shouldn't it have been at the desk where he rented the equipment? Maybe he had a higher level cert and that card was at the desk?

Found the cert card in his car? Shouldn't it have been at the desk where he rented the equipment? Maybe he had a higher level cert and that card was at the desk?
Over here, that info goes on a Liability Waiver the diver completes and signs. The card is supposed to be checked of course. The police probably have that info but the journalist didn't know.

Over here, that info goes on a Liability Waiver the diver completes and signs. The card is supposed to be checked of course. The police probably have that info but the journalist didn't know.

Not saying that the victim's C-card was or wasn't checked,.... but Ginnie is one of the only places I've actually ever been asked to show my certification level.

Bennett’s body was found by a group of divers in the cave system at the Devil’s Eye portion of the springs.

Did they know he was missing? Or were they looking for him? Imagine their surprise if not. That would be one hell of a funk to shake myself out of if I were on a dive with friends for fun and came across a corpse... talk about not being part of the dive plan...

At Ginnie you sign by each paragraph of a rules document, then a waiver. http://ginniespringsoutdoors.com/AdultWaiver.pdf You also write down your address, cert info, etc. they do no require a buddy be with you, do not monitor your dive plan. They do make you watch a video that reinforces the rules you signed to attest you knew.

We as cave divers don't want any more oversight. We don't need it. If you want someone to know your dive plan and call for help, get a friend to do it. It's not, and should not be, a responsibility of the dive shop or resort to know your dive plan. It's a little different on a boat dive compared to a land based resort which sees most of its problems coming from alcohol and drunk campers/tubers...but also most of its money as well. Deaths happen but they aren't the everyday occurrence and I hope no one pushes for extreme new rules due to this one.

Ginnie springs will eat your lunch. OW instructors taking divers in there is ridiculous.

Exactly. OW divers are not allowed to have lights at that entrance, as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom