Gilboa Scuba Patrol??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

It is on a liability form ALL divers fill out...at the beginning of the season. Granted, I'm sure many just gloss over the rules and initial it regardless...

Don

diveski01 once bubbled...
Feedback please!

BAD IDEA!
REALLY BAD IDEA!!!

Your concern for your fellow man is acknowledged - and it isn't neccesarily a bad thing. When your interest crosses the line from concern for my welfare to intolerance of my foibles, you and I are going to have a very serious problem. All in all, I really don't want you or anyone else taking responsibility for me, thank you very much. Butt out and leave this to the quarry owners - they're the ones that have something at risk here.

It's hard for me to remain civil when the subject of the Safety Police comes up. This idea that we should be enlisting a power-drunk, know-it-all ego-tripping busy-body to act as prosecutor/judge/jury without an imperative public safety issue at stake makes me @#$%%*$).

I chust vant to be left alone.

Steven

dcostanza once bubbled...
Since my comment about an Al80 and a wetsuit has been utilized two times, allow me to elaborate on my position. This has nothing to do with the type of equipment a diver utilizes (as long as it can hold up to the deeper conditions)... It has everything to do with 1)Relatively new diver, 2)Single Al80 3) Wetsuit 4)Pre-dive stress of jumping into the deep side...stress elevated especially by those that are aware of current events.

If the student diver isn't ready for the temperature change it can be an "interesting experience" to say the least. A wetsuit isn't going to keep you toasty... All of a sudden the diver loses focus (possibly because of the cold) and drops to 70' or even deeper. Then the dive turns into a situation that needs to be addressed asap.
I am a believer that a person can condition themselves to dive deeper in a wetsuit...but students??

Single Al80, well, that isn't going to give much gas for the diver with an elevated breathing rate brought on by slight anxiety, let alone if something "happens" and there are two divers breathing on it.

Again... don't get me wrong...personally I could care less what type of equipment people use...as long as it is suited to the environment. Just wanted to clarify what has been quoted two times already...

Best Regards
Don

A wet suit doesn't do much for you in 120 ft of 40 degree water.

The other problem with it is that along with loosing insulation qualities it also looses buoyancy. Remember this isn't a 3 mil shorty, it's a two piece 7 mil that takes lots of lead to sink (at the surface). These divers are often over weighted anyway and at 120 ft they are grossly overweighted and off balance. The work and breath very hard just trying to maintain attitude which of course no one could do in that situation. They are on the verge of panic the entire dive. They are so head up and negative (so they can move foreward) that if they stop kicking they sink like a rock. One little thing goes wrong and everything comes unglued. IMO, a very bad situation for a new diver training with an agency/instructor who doesn't teach balance and trim at all. With correct balance and trim the overweighting can be handled. with the equipment and weighting these divers are outfitted with it would be a very difficult dive for me and I know better than to do it. The only difference is that they don't know yet. even after the dive they don't have much to compare it to. I do.

warning...thread hi-jack...

Reefrat...I really like your signature line from Donald Rumsfeld...

don

Why does there need to be a list? We are trained divers, presumably, and when we see folks acting in what we consider an unsafe manner when diving we should recognize it. If I see something that I think warrants Mike's attention, I'll pass it on to him. He is the final arbiter as to what happens from there ... his property, his rules.

I visit Gilboa 5 or 6 times a year and dive with some pretty knowledgeable and experienced folks there. We respect Mike's efforts and right to do what he can to keep the place safe, and therefore open for our enjoyment.

As for the deep side. I've been down there, and frankly, it isn't a fun dive. It's dark and gloomy and I can understand how for some it might be somewhat overwhelming. Not my idea of a positive first deep dive experience for students unless you subscribe to the trial by fire principle of learning. I dive for fun. I feel competent to go into the deep side, but see no reason for it if it isn't fun.

IMHO

JF

dcostanza once bubbled...
chrpai

It is on a liability form ALL divers fill out...at the beginning of the season. Granted, I'm sure many just gloss over the rules and initial it regardless...

Don

Can anyone post it? I'd like to know what I'm signing before I drive 8 hours.

Seacur once bubbled...
Why does there need to be a list? We are trained divers, presumably, and when we see folks acting in what we consider an unsafe manner when diving we should recognize it. If I see something that I think warrants Mike's attention, I'll pass it on to him. He is the final arbiter as to what happens from there ... his property, his rules.

Because its customary to know the rules of the game before beginning to play the game.

chrpai once bubbled...

Can anyone post it? I'd like to know what I'm signing before I drive 8 hours.

99% of it is common sense stuff...and it also says that if you are going to dive on the deep side that you will fill out and submit a Deep Dive Plan....

It also mentions something about leaving the fish alone....some specific qwerks with the place that are unique....but other than that...it is your standrd liability release.

As for the police thing...I'm not in favor of policing u/w I am in favor of not letting un-qualified divers go over to the deep side. Yes, the deep side can be dove in a single AL80, and wetsuit, but it isn't a fun dive and leaves very little room for error. I have been there done that, and I'm not going back anytime soon....every qualified diver has the right to dive over there, but I don't think an AOW class should be allowed over there...there is no reason to be there.

chrpai once bubbled...

Listen, your not reading correctly. I'm not disputing its HIS list to make.

You asked, "Who is to say what is right or wrong?" Then you toss MHK's name around and brought up some equipment choices which are often debated (jacket BC vs BP&wings).

Yeah, I guess I didn't read it correctly. My bad.

I'm asking WHERE IS THE LIST. You say there are divers around reporting unsafe violations.....

No, Dan Gibson said that.

HOW DOES HE CONVEY TO THOSE REPORTING WHAT IS UNSAFE?
Well... according to dcostanza, "It [the list of no-no's] is on a liability form ALL divers fill out...at the beginning of the season."

<sarcasm>
Now that's suprising. I almost fell out of my chair when I read his post. Can you imagine a dive operator providing a list of rules and regulations to people that show up to dive with them? What's this world coming to!
</sarcasm>

Cornfed

Big T-
"It also mentions something about leaving the fish alone....some specific qwerks "

That is because the courseness of divers gloves have a tendency to remove the protective "slim" from the fish thus making them more acceptable to tumors. Next time you are there, look at some of the trout, they have tumors on their mouths...

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom