Gilboa Scuba Patrol??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cornfed
<sarcasm>
Now that's suprising. I almost fell out of my chair when I read his post. Can you imagine a dive operator providing a list of rules and regulations to people that show up to dive with them? What's this world coming to!
</sarcasm>

Huh?:confused:

dcostanza once bubbled...
Cornfed..
"Mike, the infamous owner of Gilboa, pulls it out of his a$$!"

Out of curiousity, I'd like to know what proof do you have of that?

Do you personally know him as many here do?

Mike is actually very consistant on his policies as I'm sure everyone here will/can attest to.

Don

That was a curt was of telling Chris that it is up to the quarry owner, Mike.

From what I've read, I don't doubt that he put quite a lot of thought and effort into it.

Sorry if it came across differently.

Cornfed

The release at Gilboa isn't going to come as any surprise to you after hearing about the hazards of the quarry on this board. Mike and Jody are sticklers for showing C-cards and will not let you dive without one. You are required to wear wristbands that show that you've paid the quarry fee and they get a little cranky if you park in the campground without a camping pass.

All that said, I have only seen a couple incidents when Mike was denying entry to divers and both of them were because the divers couldn't show a certification card.

I didn't see anything on either the standard release or the deep dive plan that seemed out of context or obnoxious.

Rachel

Cornfed
<sarcasm>
Now that's suprising. I almost fell out of my chair when I read his post. Can you imagine a dive operator providing a list of rules and regulations to people that show up to dive with them? What's this world coming to!
</sarcasm>

Huh?:confused:

Dang it, I thought marking it as sarcasm would help. :)

Painter keep asking for a list rules. You told him it is on the waiver form. My reaction to this was, "really, go figure..."

Cornfed

Cornfed,
"Sorry if it came across differently."

No problem Confed... just didn't want people to get the wrong impression of Mike. He is a very genuine guy with a very genuine interest in the safety of the divers as well as making it a place people want to return to.

Don

Big T-
"It also mentions something about leaving the fish alone....some specific qwerks "

That is because the courseness of divers gloves have a tendency to remove the protective "slim" from the fish thus making them more acceptable to tumors. Next time you are there, look at some of the trout, they have tumors on their mouths...

Don

Yes, I know, I've seen, I just wanted to make the point that mike not only cares about the peoiple diving in his quarry, but the animals that call that quarry their home....

Mike really has a lot of heart in that place, he wants to keep it first rate, and he wants it to be there for a long time. He wants the divers to enjoy the fish and for future divers to be able to enjoy the fish.

I re-read my post and understand how it could easily get mis-construed, but that's what you get for surfin during lunch while answerin stupid questions from your boss.

"Dang it, I thought marking it as sarcasm would help.

Painter keep asking for a list rules. You told him it is on the waiver form. My reaction to this was, "really, go figure..."

Cornfed"

Doh:eek: Sometimes it takes me a little longer to catch up but I'll eventually get there.:D That's what I get for talking on the phone and responding to this thread at the same time....

Don

They are on the waiver forms that get signed when you dive the quarry. You agree to specific rules and most often Mike and/or Jodi is there to explain why. These are not pulled out of thin air. The trout are a good example. Also, they have had problems in the past with people taking their dive knives and carving in the things on the bottom. I think that we can all agree that there are reasons for these rules. Driving extremely slow in the quarry is another one. Mike's quarry, Mike's rules. They have worked hard to make the quarry a great place to dive. They want it to stay that way.

And they aren't as restrictive as they sound here. I invite the people that think that they are to go there and talk to Mike. Check out the quarry! Heck, after you are done with check-in, let me know in advance and I will meet you down there and give you a guided tour (and a dive buddy). I have done it for new divers to the quarry out of our shop. I would wager that most of the people on this board that have been here would make the same offer. I bet that you will have a better time than you would think.

I am one of the people that I don't turn people into Mike for things without talking to the diver first. Many times they may not be aware of the problem (ie. a warm water reg on the deep side) in spite of the waivers that are signed. Many times they may be obvious candidates for Darwin Award. They MAY get turned in. Turning someone in is last resort. First and most effective, is the old "have you thought about...." in a friendly, non-confrotational manner. Believe it or not, a lot of times the person hasn't thought about it, the problem is solved, and everybody is happy and safe. I have needed that once in while. I am sure that we all have. Or maybe they have something on their gear that I haven't noticed and I learn how safe they actually are. Then, I have learned something new. This is a good thing also.

Let's just try to watch out for each other down there and keep the flaming of each other to a minimum. After all, most of us just want to dive anyways. We all want to see people dive safely. I re-iterate, it really hurts my diving day when I see someone pulled out of the water with drowning, dcs, air embolism......

That's what I get for talking on the phone and responding to this thread at the same time....

Now Don, everyone knows that cyberdiving requires your full and undivided attention!

Cornfed

Back
Top Bottom