Gilboa Aug 17-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_Dives:
Here's another one "Diver Survives after Buddy Turns Air Off at 100 Feet"
:11:

That might not be true. I'm not sure what depth the first one occured. The second was at 93-94 feet by the time I got you closed off.

But hey, wasn't the vis great down there! :D

Prior to the first free flow you pulled your reg out and showed me the little stream of bubbles, what was it that you noticed? A little pressure, bubbles when there shouldn't have been?

The first one occurred at 101 feet.

So, since it was requested: We went in for our deep dive, 3 buddy pairs. My buddy and I wee the second pair, with Ber in the front pair. We got down to the platform, everyone was doing good, so we continued down to the 100 foot level, then started swimming to the wall on right. I then started hearing what sounded like a freeflow. Didn't see any bubbles, didn't feel any pressure, just heard it. Looked around, nobody had a stream of bubbles, so I pulled out my reg, and discovered I had a stream of bubbles. So, I signaled my buddy, and I switched over to the reg on my sling tank. Steve got my primary tank turned off. I gave a couple quicks kicks to catch up with Ber, and pulled on her fin. Showed her that I was breathing off my sling tank, and she turned the dive for everybody. We started up and back to the platform. As we ascended and the water warmed up (yeah,, right!). I decided we wwere shallow enough and warm enough (OK, maybe I was narc'ed by then) to switch back. Steve got me turned back on, and I switched regs. It worked for about 6 breaths, and I heard bubbles again. So, back to the sling tank again. Had a little buoyancy issue with this switch, hence Steve's reference to 93' by the time he got my tank turned off. Got to the platform, made an uneventful surfacing with the group of 6. Overall, a non-event. Lesson I learned was that your first clue for a freeflow may not be seeing bubbles or feeling pressure, the way it is praicing in the pool or even at a shallow platform in the quarry. It may just be hearing the freeflow, and not knowing where it is coming from.

When we got out, the tank that had flowed freely was down to 1000 psi. My sling was down to 1700 (it started at 2700).

Ken

Notso_Ken:

So, since it was requested: We went in for our deep dive, 3 buddy pairs. My buddy and I wee the second pair, with Ber in the front pair. We got down to the platform, everyone was doing good, so we continued down to the 100 foot level, then started swimming to the wall on right. I then started hearing what sounded like a freeflow. Didn't see any bubbles, didn't feel any pressure, just heard it. Looked around, nobody had a stream of bubbles, so I pulled out my reg, and discovered I had a stream of bubbles. So, I signaled my buddy, and I switched over to the reg on my sling tank. Steve got my primary tank turned off. I gave a couple quicks kicks to catch up with Ber, and pulled on her fin. Showed her that I was breathing off my sling tank, and she turned the dive for everybody. We started up and back to the platform. As we ascended and the water warmed up (yeah,, right!). I decided we wwere shallow enough and warm enough (OK, maybe I was narc'ed by then) to switch back. Steve got me turned back on, and I switched regs. It worked for about 6 breaths, and I heard bubbles again. So, back to the sling tank again. Had a little buoyancy issue with this switch, hence Steve's reference to 93' by the time he got my tank turned off. Got to the platform, made an uneventful surfacing with the group of 6. Overall, a non-event. Lesson I learned was that your first clue for a freeflow may not be seeing bubbles or feeling pressure, the way it is praicing in the pool or even at a shallow platform in the quarry. It may just be hearing the freeflow, and not knowing where it is coming from.

When we got out, the tank that had flowed freely was down to 1000 psi. My sling was down to 1700 (it started at 2700).

Ken

Thanks for sharing Ken. Very educational. Glad to see you were all prepared, followed your plan and all was good. Nice job!

Notso_Ken:

Ken

Epilogue:

I couldn't figure out why my trusty old regulator did this to me, so I pulled out my log book and did a little research.

Yes, I have dove with that reg to those depths, and those temps (I had 41* at 103' for the dive). However, as I perused my log, I noticed something. I had not dove that regulator to that depth and temp together. When I was around 100', it had been warmer -upper 40's, lower 50's. When I had dove cold (down to 38* with that reg), I hadn't gone below about 65' (the Tubes).

When I had done that cold and that deep, it had been with my new reg - you know, the one I bought to better dive cold with!

Why didn't I use the new reg, instead of the old one? Good question. I didn't use it this dive, because I had it set up for cold diving in my dry suit. Since I was diving wet this particular day, I didn't want the dry suit inflator hose banging me in the ear. So, I went with my old reg.

Would changing that one thing have changed the outcome of the dive????

Ken

Notso_Ken:
Would changing that one thing have changed the outcome of the dive????

You might have had more air for our second dive. :D

Thanks Ken, What size tank were you diving and what size was your sling?

Steve_Dives:
Paula & TG - Nice meeting you!

Nice meeting you, and TGl, Adam, Adam, Barry and Brian as well!!! And thanks for the roof over my head.

Glad to hear everyone got home safely. Now if we can get some sunshine to dry the gear out! Although it will be wet again soon.

trucker girl:
Ya know, Ken, he has a good point there.

Or I could have just refilled both tanks before the second dive, not just the one . . .

Notso_Ken:
Why didn't I use the new reg, instead of the old one? Good question. I didn't use it this dive, because I had it set up for cold diving in my dry suit. Since I was diving wet this particular day, I didn't want the dry suit inflator hose banging me in the ear. So, I went with my old reg.

Ken

Hey Ken, throw a large rubber band in your save-a-dive kit and put it around your tank to tuck your drysuit inflator hose out of the way when you dive wet. Looks a little dorky but it works great! I had gotten an underwater camera and it had a rubber band for a wrist band; when I developed the film I kept the rubber band, it fits my tank and keeps that hose neatly tucked away.
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom