getting old sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
are you supposed to be my light at the end of the tunnel?...lol :D

>>> getting old sucks

As I tell my 12 year old daughter. It sure beats the the alternative.

(If you are not getting older each day it means you have died).

When you consider the alternative, getting old is not so bad after all.

fairybasslet:
Besides the fact that you used to be able to read with your contacts in and now need reading glasses to wear OVER your contacts, when you hit 50, you start needing things done to fix all the injuries that don't fix themselves anymore,like:
Rotator cuff surgery
Knee surgery

And for the ultimate insult: a colonoscopy.

I just had the colonoscopy done 3 months ago. The worse part was not eating anything solid the day before and all the trips to the bathroom. The colonoscopy itself was a piece of cake.

If a colonoscopy is all I have to do to avoid colon cancer it will be great.
I tried like heck for the last decade to convince my dad to get a colonoscopy but he stubbornly refused.

Unfortunately, a month ago Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer of the liver and colon. The oncologist said it started as colon cancer and spread to the liver.
The colonoscopy could have detected the precursors to colon cancer and prevented it from starting in the colon and spreading to the liver.

I can't stress enough the benefit of getting a colonoscopy.

Whatever you might think of Katie Couric, she did a lot to raise the awareness of the ease of preventing colon cancer after her husband died of colon cancer at age 48.

Sorry for being so wordy, but if this encourages even one person to get a colonoscopy instead of ignoring the warnings (like my dad) it will be worthwhile.

dbg40:
I found that if I remove 1 contact lense, my vision is MUCH easier to get along with. I can see pretty darn well up close, and pretty darn well out far. NOT GREAT...but pretty darn well...........

The old eyesight was much better back in '02, huh?

Rick Inman:
They're junk. I gotta close one eye and tilt my head just so to use 'em. I think I'll toss 'em. Seeing well is highly over-rated anyway.

One of the LDSs I deal with has a fellow that will grind your prescription to fit your mask. Makes it nice for readers with short arms. :wink:

tony

Monocular vision can really work extremely well for some people, especially if it's achieved without lenses. When I was a kid, I was very neasighted in one eye, and only moderately nearsighted in the other. The better eye was, of course , dominant. When farsightedness set in, the bad eye became the reading and close up eye. It sees clear as a bell out to about two feet. My good eye became gradually better, as slightly nearsighted eyes often do as you age. My dominant right eye is now 20/20. My neadsighted eye is 20/300, but I can see perfectly with it down to only a few inches, read, etc., with no effort. The brain automatically switches from one eye to the other, according to the task. I can actually feel the shift happen, if I suddenly look up from a book and look at something a distance away.

When I was young, my very different levels of nearsightedness was a problem, because one thick lens and one thin lens made glasses crooked and unbalanced. The happy result of this condition, though, is that now, in my early 60s, I don't need glasses or contacts at all. One eye does distance, the other does closeups, and the brain fills in the blanks in such a way that there are no blind spots; you efffectively seem to see perfectly with both eyes, close up or at a distance.

Some nearsighted people have this monocular vision created artificially, by having laser surgery in only one eye. I have it naturally, and I thank my lucky stars when I see people struggling to see computers, focus cameras, etc.

On another topic, a colonoscopy is easy, totally pain-free. I have one every three years. It's no big deal, and lots of stubborn, uninformed people doom themselves to an early painful death that could easily have been avoided with a simple exam.

ronbeau:
I just had the colonoscopy done 3 months ago. The worse part was not eating anything solid the day before and all the trips to the bathroom. The colonoscopy itself was a piece of cake.

If a colonoscopy is all I have to do to avoid colon cancer it will be great.
I tried like heck for the last decade to convince my dad to get a colonoscopy but he stubbornly refused.

Unfortunately, a month ago Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer of the liver and colon. The oncologist said it started as colon cancer and spread to the liver.
The colonoscopy could have detected the precursors to colon cancer and prevented it from starting in the colon and spreading to the liver.

I can't stress enough the benefit of getting a colonoscopy.

Whatever you might think of Katie Couric, she did a lot to raise the awareness of the ease of preventing colon cancer after her husband died of colon cancer at age 48.

Sorry for being so wordy, but if this encourages even one person to get a colonoscopy instead of ignoring the warnings (like my dad) it will be worthwhile.

Very well said. God bless you and your dad. Im printing out your post for my husband who is 52 and refuses to except that you can get older and be healthy with some preventive measures. Thank you.

Everyday I see less and less hair on my head in the mirror. Not sure if it is a problem with my head or eyes. I have had a partial hip replacement on the left side and knee surgery on both sides (stupid football). Maybe I should get a mask with those "cool inserts" for looking in the mirror...not sure how much they would help with the hobblin' around. The worst part is that I am only 27....nothing is gonna work by the time I am y'alls age! Ha

Yeah..... I have my share of injuries too. What I didn't know at the time, but I've come to realise too late is that significant injuries never heal.....they just improve....if you're lucky.

I've got injuries on my back (dislocated vertebrae from kungfu), shoulder (dislocated and separated from mountain-climbing (actually, it was technically mountain-falling)) and foot (ripped tendon from basketball) that need constant TLC. The only way to keep them from becoming chronically problematic is to keep fit..... For the time being I'm able to keep ahead of it but it's never far from my mind....

R..

ccohn2000:
As the wife of Larry C, I can vouch for his poor vision. He's also going deaf, but I guess that doesn't bother him nearly as much. :)
I told my doctor that my wife thought I was losing my hearing. He told me that my hearing is fine; it's just selective. :D

So last year a few months shy of my 44th birthday I got the proofs back for a coffee table book of my photos. It seemed that only about one in every third page was sharp. I was sort of stunned! Normally my photos are tack sharp. Driving home from my designers office I was wanting to find a cliff to plummet over. I just couldn't understand how both myself my designer could have let this get past us.

Arriving home my then wife asked me what I thought of the proofs. I dejectedly said "They are o.k." Only o.k. she asked? Let me see them she said. I showed them to her and warned her that most of them were just a bit out of focus. She looked and looked and then told me that they all were really sharp.

Once in a while when I'm really tired from editing I'll put on a pair of reading glasses. I went to my office, got them, came back and then studied the proofs. Viola! Insta sharp. They were all in focus.

That was my first hint that I now needed glasses. Six months later, I succumbed and got an eye exam. The prescription - bifocals!!!! Now on the verge of my 45th birthday I am becoming aware that the lenses that I got 8 months ago may not be cutting it.

I can no longer read a magazine closeup. If I want to look at an image on the back of my LCD screen I have to use the lower bifocal part.

Yes getting old sucks but the alternative is far worse.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom