getting old sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Well I went diving this week and took my 5050 along. It felt like I had never used the camera before (Using the new one too much topside I guess). I was fumbling around, playing with the settings and to top it off I couldn't see a dang thing - with or with out the mag-hood.

I guess it means the time has come to go back to the eye doc and let him have a look. I knew it would come, but never thought it would be this crappy. Any other around 40's noticing a big and fast change in their eye sight?

Turn 57 this year and yeah ...my arms aren't nearly long enough any more. Finally bit the bullet and ordered a mask with the magnifyer inserts. As far as the camera goes (and I have the 5050 too) I just memorized the controls rather that having to actually see them u/w. My vision is going but my memory is still strong ...thank goodness.

'Slogger

I hear ya....I haven't used the camera in many month - since the flooding, plus due to the weather conditions I choose to stay out of the water...if you don't use it you loose it they say...lol

justleesa:
Well I went diving this week and took my 5050 along. It felt like I had never used the camera before (Using the new one too much topside I guess). I was fumbling around, playing with the settings and to top it off I couldn't see a dang thing - with or with out the mag-hood.

I guess it means the time has come to go back to the eye doc and let him have a look. I knew it would come, but never thought it would be this crappy. Any other around 40's noticing a big and fast change in their eye sight?
Don't ya love it?

I wear contacts to correct my nearsightedness, then can't see up close with the contacts in. So I stick those stupid half-moon magnifiers into my mask. It's a hassle, and not very fashionable.

OH no...don't tell me that...I'll never make it on the cover of a dive magazine with those!

justleesa:
OH no...don't tell me that...I'll never make it on the cover of a dive magazine with those!

LOL!

Got my first pair of glasses at 45, couldn't read the menus in restaurants.
I remember the waiter coming over with a flashlight, I knew it was time.
It sucks uw with no glasses, can't see things close up.
Thanks to Dennis' pictures I get to see what I missed on our dives in the PI's :D

It's funny w/o the camera I can find everything, point it out - but as soon as I pull up the camera it's "the guessing game"....grrrrrr...

Just called, appointment next Thrusday...

I play the guessing game too with a camera uw.

It could be a lot worse. And, in fact, it will get worse. Farsightedness, or presbyopia, is usually the first permanent age-related loss that we can't ignore. No amount of positive thinking can reverse or delay it. Its onset is relatively sudden, and usually happens in one's early 40s. All things considered, it's a minor problem, compared to some of the nastiness that lies in wait a few years down the road. Ageing is a funny thing. People in their 20s and 30s tend to be blissfully unaware that in just a dozen or so summers, they too will begin to experience the joys of physical deterioration. No amount of clean living and wheat grass juice can bring that viewfinder or that fine print back into sharp focus.

All this bothers me much less now than it did when I was in my 40s, still trying to ignore reality. One learns to accept, and to enjoy the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom