getting old sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey...they make neat little inserts to stick inside the dive mask...those pesky gages have smaller and smaller print....:) I didn't start diving until 47 so I was well on my way into graduated focus lens. My latest set is UV protected, anti-scratch, photo-gray graduated focus light weight...ran about $800.00 and worth every penny. I work everyday all day with my eyes (computers) so the investment is worth it...sounds like it might be for you too!

Mike

mikerault:
Hey...they make neat little inserts to stick inside the dive mask......ran about $800.00...
Eight-hundred Dollars??

I'm losing my sight, not my mind! eyebrow

dbg40:
I found that if I remove 1 contact lense, my vision is MUCH easier to get along with. I can see pretty darn well up close, and pretty darn well out far. NOT GREAT...but pretty darn well...........
I had Lasik surgery 2 years ago, and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner! I have monovision, which is basically what you're doing by wearing one contact-my left eye is corrected for near vision, my right is corrected for far vision. Before, I was blind as a bat without my glasses, except for very close up, and wore progressive trifocal glasses. I had corrective lenses that I got at Snorkel Bob's put in my dive mask, now I am back to the clear glass. And I don't need reading glasses. I do wear glasses for night driving that bring my near eye to the same correction as my far eye, otherwise I see halos on the lights, but that's minor. :05:

ronbeau:
I just had the colonoscopy done 3 months ago. The worse part was not eating anything solid the day before and all the trips to the bathroom. The colonoscopy itself was a piece of cake.

If a colonoscopy is all I have to do to avoid colon cancer it will be great.
I tried like heck for the last decade to convince my dad to get a colonoscopy but he stubbornly refused.

Unfortunately, a month ago Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer of the liver and colon. The oncologist said it started as colon cancer and spread to the liver.
The colonoscopy could have detected the precursors to colon cancer and prevented it from starting in the colon and spreading to the liver.

I can't stress enough the benefit of getting a colonoscopy.

Whatever you might think of Katie Couric, she did a lot to raise the awareness of the ease of preventing colon cancer after her husband died of colon cancer at age 48.

Sorry for being so wordy, but if this encourages even one person to get a colonoscopy instead of ignoring the warnings (like my dad) it will be worthwhile.
I agree. I didn't think the prep was that bad, either, and with the drugs, I don't remember a thing from the time I got in the exam room, till well after I was finished. Also, ladies, have mammograms!!! I've had breast cancer twice, both times caught by a mammogram.
I too think that getting older is great when you consider the alternative!:D

I'm 59 and in the same boat. And just now changing over to digital photo. You're right. Getting old sucks. There is help, however.

Sea Vision masks. For those in need of bifocals they have a Guage Reader mask. It's a standard +2.00 bifocal ground into the bottom of the lens. Helped me a lot as I just could not read a compass. Cost is up there but worth every penny IMO.

I had the stick-on ones but they don't always stay put if youare cleaning the lens and they do turn yellow in time (about a year). And they cost about $35. pair.

Of course you can always get lenses ground for your present mask.

It all boils down to this. Us stupid divers are always talking about this viz and that viz. Well, if ya can't see your guages, computer, or camera then there ain't no viz. Something has to be done.

justleesa:
Well I went diving this week and took my 5050 along. It felt like I had never used the camera before (Using the new one too much topside I guess). I was fumbling around, playing with the settings and to top it off I couldn't see a dang thing - with or with out the mag-hood.

I guess it means the time has come to go back to the eye doc and let him have a look. I knew it would come, but never thought it would be this crappy. Any other around 40's noticing a big and fast change in their eye sight?

I feel your pain sister!

I have been wearing glasses for about eighteen years now. I am 47. It started with a problem called accommodation spasm. The eye doc gave me a pair of bi focals and it went down hill from there. I need to take my glasses off to read. My prescription is still fairly mild, but my sight for distance is just c***. The fortunate part is that the natural magnification underwater actually corrects my visions. I do have some problems working with the digital camera.

I went for the Lasik surgery assessment. They want to do only one eye because if they do them both I will need glasses to read. Go figure.

So, it is either get my eyes done so that I can see better on land, or look like a fool every time I go searching for the glasses. I don't know what impact it will have on my vision underwater.

I too am suffering from short arm disease! I didn't need glasses until my early 30's, I'll be 44 this year. The last eye appointment my arms were barely long enough to be able to write & sign a check for the exam after they dilated my pupils!

Fortunately, my wife is the photographer and has not yet succumbed to this malady - she is a few years behind me. So, things still work OK if I wear my contact lenses and act as 'spotter' for photo ops for her - but I know I'm getting more 'spotty' in my spotting abilities.

Maybe I'll look into lasik this year.

So . . . I sat and listened to Joe Talavera teaching about proper trim this weekend. He emphasized again and again the importance of KEEPING YOUR HEAD UP (and your knees up, but that's not an age-related problem.) So today, as I was diving, I thought HEAD UP HEAD UP . . . and realized if I kept my head up, and I had to look at the bottom (where all the critters are, because they aren't in midwater) through my bifocal lenses . . . which meant I almost missed the octopus, because he was an odd-colored blur. Old age sucks . . . keep your trim and miss the octopus; or spot the octopus and look like a doofus. Hmmm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom