getting old sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfelliot:
In 1995 I was wearing reading glasses and I was able to snorkel with just the natural magnification of a plain glass mask. By 2001 I was wearing graduated lens on land and needed a prescription mask to see clearly underwater. I was 43-49 years old during that time. My prescriptions have not changed much since then. I am now 53.

I didn’t do my first dive until 2002. I’ve never had much trouble reading an analog SPG, but I just changed to a Suunto Vyper computer which is backlighted and much easier to read. Camera, I just point and pray!!!

I just came back from a dive vacation doing 10 dives in 6 days. I’m really glad I started swimming in the pool in December here in Maine to get in shape. I think that swimming a few times a week will be key to my extending this love into my 60’s.

At least there is ONE post that isn't whining! More and more divers aren't starting until their 60's!

By the way, only 10 dives? The minumum number any of our crew did in February was 16 in 5 days. The plan was for 20 but a couple had to be aborted due to a sea state problem.

As for me: Given my life history every day I discover my expiration date hasn't arrived I consider a blessing. As for vision: Most important things are done by feel anyway:wink:

Not whining...stating a fact :D as a picture taker - eyes are important...the loss of sight and losing the ability to take those nice pictures is devastating for me

I found that if I remove 1 contact lense, my vision is MUCH easier to get along with. I can see pretty darn well up close, and pretty darn well out far. NOT GREAT...but pretty darn well...........

Rick Inman:
4) One ugly tuft of hair sticking straight up, one tuft sticking straight down.
Some of us would be happy to have any tufts of hair, ugly or not.

However, as I close in on AARP membership my eyes are still pretty good. I had LASIK about 8 years ago and aside from needing reading glasses in dim light or for small print, the eyes are holding up great.

Luke

It does just get worse. At 52 it seems like I need a new prescription every week to keep reading. Right eye twice as bad. What stinks is that before 40 they were both perfect. Even with the SP's big screen, I still can't read the Aperture and Shutter speed. My wife does the one contact thing and it seems to work for her. I tried the stick on lenses, they were crap. I think I'll call those lens guys too. Good luck.

As the wife of Larry C, I can vouch for his poor vision. He's also going deaf, but I guess that doesn't bother him nearly as much. :) The one lense thing was recommended by my eye doctor. He had me try bifocal contacts and the one lense thing which is called monocular vision. The one lense thing was far superior. I can't stand to wear it out of the water though, so I use bifocals or cheaters for regular use. I agree, getting old totally sucks.

This must be why I get pics where there is no fish at all - I thought it was shutter lag.

Rick Inman:
OK funny guys...

Rick,

One of the instructors at my lds saw me wearing those. He called them “Goofy Googles”.

I really didn’t get it – until now…

Diversion:
Rick,

One of the instructors at my lds saw me wearing those. He called them “Goofy Googles”.

I really didn’t get it – until now…
They're junk. I gotta close one eye and tilt my head just so to use 'em. I think I'll toss 'em. Seeing well is highly over-rated anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom