Gear rinsing in the shower

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mig_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone else like to get into the shower with their gear and rinse it that way? Is hot water bad for your gear?

I soak my gear in the laundry room sink or in the bathroom tub then rinse it with warm water when I am taking a shower and hang it to dry. I just have to use my weight belt to hold down my wetsuit under the water.

I wouldn't (don't) use hot water on my regulators.

I sometimes use warm water to soak gear so the salt crystals will desolve faster, and then I do my final rinses with cool water. I believe hot water could cause some breakdown/weakening of some seams, fabrics, rubber parts, silicone parts, seals, etc., especially with regulators over a period of time, so I stay away from hot water rinses and soakings.

I do most of my rinsing outside, except for soaking my regs, because it's quicker and easier for me to spray things off outside than having to clean up the bathroom. After week-long dive vacation trips and before storing gear for the winter, I give everything a nice long warm water soaking and cool water rinsing in the bathtub.

I do not get in my shower wearing my gear trying to rinse it that way if that's what you meant - I won't be able to get into all the nooks and crannies effectively to get rid of all the salt crystals. I do, however, rinse my gear in the tub with the portable shower head using lukewarm water after every dive. I then switch to cold water when I'm about to finish before it gets hung up to dry.

Warm clean water is your friend however you get it to your gear. The warmth greatly improves the dissolving and release of salt etc. I only rinse regulators under positive pressure, that is while pressurized on a tank for what it's worth. I can't imagine any temperature that you can tolerate being harmful to any scuba gear.

Pete

I soak my regs, bc and wetsuit in warm water and use the shower for my fins, mask booties etc. I really wouldn't use the shower for the regs and that, simply because I don't that's going to clean them nearly well enough.

Kramer once lived in the shower fixing meals and all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom