Gear Maintenance: Rinse your metal second stage in warm vs cold water ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What mix percentage do you use?
I use Salt Off, or Salt Away. Likely similar to Salt X. I have a hose dispenser so the dilution is controlled. I soak gear in a bucket with the mixture, and rinse with clean water after.

The hose dispenser also works well for the inside of the BC as it threads right into the corrugated hose (Zeagle with BX coupler).

I use Salt Off, or Salt Away. Likely similar to Salt X. I have a hose dispenser so the dilution is controlled. I soak gear in a bucket with the mixture, and rinse with clean water after.

The hose dispenser also works well for the inside of the BC as it threads right into the corrugated hose (Zeagle with BX coupler).

What is the mix ratio? 1 gallon of salt X will make how many gallons of soaking mix?

What is the mix ratio? 1 gallon of salt X will make how many gallons of soaking mix?
No clue with the dispenser, but it’s a lot. The dispenser came with my first purchase. A gallon will last me well over a year, and I use it for flushing engines, cleaning the trailer and the dive gear.

The one I use is Salt Off. The jug says 2-4 oz per gallon of water. I use a bit less when I add directly.

No clue with the dispenser, but it’s a lot. The dispenser came with my first purchase. A gallon will last me well over a year, and I use it for flushing engines, cleaning the trailer and the dive gear.

The one I use is Salt Off. The jug says 2-4 oz per gallon of water. I use a bit less when I add directly.
Let's say 4 oz/gallon. There are 128 ozs in 1 gallon so 128/4 = 32 Gallons? a 1 gallon of Salt-X or Salt off makes 32 gallons of mix or 121L.

If 2oz/gallon ---> 128/2 = 64 Gallons or 242L.

2-4oz per gallon I typically use 2 because I rinse with just fresh water first. 6oz is recommended if you use saltwater for the rinse water; Lol, see attached. I have nothing to do with salt-x and would use any other product to achieve similar results.

Attachments

• SaltX_Brochure_201902.pdf
    574.7 KB · Views: 78
I typically use just cold water, without any specialized products, everything soaked while pressurized -- unless the stages are completely disassembled and in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Then, they're simmering for a while at about 50˚ C in a white vinegar / water solution. . .

I use Salt Away or Salt Off. On trips I may bring a small squeeze bottle with me. Warm water when available is better than cold to dissolve salts.

Back
Top Bottom