Garmin Descent vs. Suunto Dive Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the detailed description. I am going to get the Garmin. Not only do I like the idea of having it be a hiking watch too, even with the added activities it's still cheaper than a Suunto dive computer (watch at least).

I am going to get the Garmin

Woohoo! When you do, join our Garmin Connect group. So far it's just me and Pete and I seem to be the only one adding to it :D

If I didn't have my Shearwaters, and I was looking for a recreational computer, I'd go for the Garmin.

I don't particularly like it for technical diving. Just because it has the ability to run mixed gases, doesn't mean I think it's the best tool for the job. Especially with the Shearwater pedigree in that arena.

There isn't a Suunto product that's even on my radar except the old model Zoop for brand new divers or a rental fleet of computers at a dive center that caters to new divers.

Just picked up the Garmin, get to put my first dive on it this coming Monday!

Is it worth updating my equipment for $300 to the Descent
Thoughts?

It certainly paid off to me, because I now have the same watch/instrument for all the sports that you can imagine and (which is incredibly amazing) also for diving. The only minus of Descent MK1 is lack of air integration.

Reactions: Jay
What does the Descent lack, compared to "the best" dive computer?

No AIR integration?

I have put in the order. But either the company I am going through is delayed, or the watch is super popular and Garmin is slow because I was told it would ship in 4-8 weeks. Potentially 2 months?

Argh...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom