Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, they don't. I was responding to your comment about inexpensive dive computers with Buhlmann and GFs. Sorry, I missed the AI part.
I may wait for massive discounts to kick in for non color AI watches and grab one as a backup. I really believe that color screans will be standard very soon and they'll be getting rid of the non color stock for like half off. I won't care at that point since it's for equipment failover.

The Garmin Descent Mk1 is based on the Garmin Fenix 5X - or more accurately, it IS the Fenix 5X with dive capabilities added.

It is likely the Mk2 will be basically a Fenix 6X.

There would be no value at all in having two Garmin devices. The value of the Garmin is the fitness/sports/everyday features. You can only practically where one watch for everyday use and fitness activities.

If you wanted redundancy, you'd be better off with a Garmin and a Shearwater. Even the Perdix would be perfect for that. You could set the gas factors the same.

It seems to me that the Descent mk1 has the body of the Fenix 3 HR (sealed back and similar charging contacts) with the brain of the Fenix 5x.

Attachments

• garmin-fenix-5x-plus-2.jpg
    garmin-fenix-5x-plus-2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 135
<text deleted>I would have full redundancy.

Full redundancy would require dual transmitters as well, my 0.02 is skip the second AI and run a inexpensive mini SPG with a backup non AI computer running the same
algorithm of you really want redundancy at a lower price point.

But I will ask are you doing dives that benefit from that level of redundancy? I am not saying skimp on safety but I am saying be sure you make informed decisions.

For those withe a Garmin Fenix based watch, have you had luck with the Zulu style bands?

But I will ask are you doing dives that benefit from that level of redundancy? I am not saying skimp on safety but I am saying be sure you make informed decisions.
For me, any and every dive. It's a 3-4 hour round trip for me to my closest dive sites. I'm not going to abort a dive if I don't have to.

Yes, I have an SPG but I also like having two AI computers so if one fails, I still have the convenience of AI without having to compromise the dive at all.

I have had one fail on me right at the start of the dive. My Oceanic Atom 3.0 went into some weird error mode at the start of the dive. I still had my Perdix AI so I was able continue the dive as if nothing had happened. If I didn't have the Perdix, I could still continue the dive but I'd have to keep checking the SPG which is a PITA.

Anyone heard any updates on this product?

@TuckerIdaho I keep looking daily but alas I fear your right. I am assuming it will be fenix 6 based, hopefully sapphire glass but what dimension (or variants) I am hoping for the 47mm as 51mm is big for a day to day watch.

If I daydream I will be able to get the 47mm Sapphire - Titanium with Vented Titanium Bracelet as a Descent Mk2 with AI

No word in any Garmin circles. I'm gonna guess our current pandemic will delay it further.

Yeah, hard to imagine a company releasing a $1k+ recreation device in the current climate.

I wish we could get a flippin' update on this. I want to buy a higher end new watch computer but I want to be able to include this model as an option to evaluate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom