Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would buy a Teric and a Garmin Fenix 6 or 6X or something before I would spend all that money on just a Descent Mk2i.

Amen. I have been looking forward to upgrading my old Fenix 3, and have been waiting for the MK2 as a backup dive computer that I could also use as a multisport watch. But not if the price is going to be as high as this NZ ad suggests. That's insane. I'll just buy another Teric as a backup and get a Fenix 6 Pro Solar. Heck, even with second backup transmitter it's about the same cost total, and I have two new wrist devices. If this sort of pricing is true, then Garmin is crazy.

But, let's also keep in mind that the MK2 hasn't been announced yet, so this NZ shop might be completely jumping the gun on trying to sell it.

I use the Mk1 as backup for my Perdix. I don't feel I need really AI on a backup computer, especially because the Mk1 has been a reliable basic Buhrmann computer. If the Descent Mk1 came down to around $600 - $700 that would be great.

PS: Since the last Garmin update and using one minute updates the elevation readings on my Mk1 have been really accurate! :)

I use the Mk1 as backup for my Perdix. I don't feel I need really AI on a backup computer, especially because the Mk1 has been a reliable basic Buhrmann computer. If the Descent Mk1 came down to around $600 - $700 that would be great.

PS: Since the last Garmin update and using one minute updates the elevation readings on my Mk1 have been really accurate! :)

With what they are advertising the Mk2 price at I doubt they will lower the price of the Mk1. not may people are going to spend $500 or more just to get AI function. I personally think AI is worth about $100-200 more.

With what they are advertising the Mk2 price at I doubt they will lower the price of the Mk1. not may people are going to spend $500 or more just to get AI function. I personally think AI is worth about $100-200 more.
Perdix AI costs $86 more Perdix

The transmitter in post #220 does not look like a PPS transmitter, does anyone know for sure?

I doubt that AI will be the only difference

I doubt that AI will be the only difference

But then honestly, what other dive-related capabilities are there to add on top of what MK1 offered? Fitness/outdoor-wise you can probably find something, but I cannot think of anything justifying the price.

I use the Mk1 as backup for my Perdix. I don't feel I need really AI on a backup computer, especially because the Mk1 has been a reliable basic Buhrmann computer.

If my primary computer dies, I don't want to have to (potentially) end my dive early. Nor do I want to have to remove the AI transmitter and put on an SPG on my reg set before I do my next dive. So, my backup works with the same AI transmitter as my primary.

If my transmitter dies, I might end my dive early, and then I will swap for a backup transmitter before my next dive.

In the Unlikely event that the computer dies, I would screw on the SPG I carry in my dive bag without a problem. Would I rather my backup is AI?... sure. But I dive with the Perdix and Mk1 without anxiety. Maybe when the Teric II comes out I'll retire the Descent to above surface duty only.

But then honestly, what other dive-related capabilities are there to add on top of what MK1 offered? Fitness/outdoor-wise you can probably find something, but I cannot think of anything justifying the price.

I’m not saying it’s a good deal, I’m just saying that the comparison with the predix vs perdix AI isn’t really working

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom