Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Judging from the internal photos from the FCC, it's at least somewhat different.

Descent Mk1
fenix 5X
fenix 3HR

The photos are a little to blurry to ID some of the microchips, but the layout for each one is different and some chips seem unique to the Descent Mk1.

Also, Garmin sent out an email survey asking what other dive gear the Descent users use on dives, and whether we would prefer getting maintenance alerts through the app. Doesn't prove much except that there's someone there paying attention to diving, which is something.

I was responding to the statement that the Descent "is a Fenix 5x with dive/apnea functions". Looking at the back you will see the Garmin Descent and the Fenix 3HR have a one piece body. The Fenix 5x has a removable back panel with o-ring. It has been widely reported the Descent uses the 5x case, which is untrue. The firmware of the Descent more closely matches the 5x, though. As far as what's inside is anyone's guess. Garmin is pretty tight lipped about that kind of thing. If someone has verified information on this issue I would be interested in hearing it.
What will be interesting is what form factor the mk2 will take. I'm thinking something larger to hold the AI receiver and probable bigger battery. Wireless charging? Solar? AI for sure? Although it's been rumored for over a year we actually know nothing about it.
The mk1 has pretty remarkable battery life. It is also a surprisingly reliable basic dive computer. But it is definitely not inexpensive for a non AI machine. If you can use its land based functionality the price is more in line.

Judging from the internal photos from the FCC, it's at least somewhat different.

Descent Mk1
fenix 5X
fenix 3HR

The photos are a little to blurry to ID some of the microchips, but the layout for each one is different and some chips seem unique to the Descent Mk1.

Also, Garmin sent out an email survey asking what other dive gear the Descent users use on dives, and whether we would prefer getting maintenance alerts through the app. Doesn't prove anything much except that there's someone there paying attention to diving, which is something.

Great links! You can see that the contours and shape of the Descent and 3HR PCBs are a pretty exact match. What I wonder about is the button seals and the pressure sensor.

I see that some of the ScubaPro computers can integrate with their optional HRMs. How do they make it work? And I wonder if Garmin can do something similar. And I assume the ScubaPro HRM is reading real time because the data is adjusting their algorithm during the dive.

Also, Garmin sent out an email survey asking what other dive gear the Descent users use on dives, and whether we would prefer getting maintenance alerts through the app. Doesn't prove much except that there's someone there paying attention to diving, which is something.
The survey doesn't even make sense.
Screen%20Shot%202020-08-07%20at%2010.16.37%20am.png

They don't have "garden hose" in the list!

Back
Top Bottom