Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is there any speculation about the possibility to record heart-rate underwater with a belt heart-rate monitor?

I do not possibly see that work since belt HR monitors communicate with watches/phones via bluetooth, and at these frequencies the range is at the order of few centimeters at best afaik. There are some Polar HRMs which use radio frequencies, and these are also far enough from AI transmitters to probably not interefere (5 khz vs 38 khz), but then at best you would have to choose between AI and radio. Also, Garmin would then have to start selling own-branded radio HRMs, which I fear is not comercially viable (since most people are happy with BT).

I do not possibly see that work since belt HR monitors communicate with watches/phones via bluetooth, and at these frequencies the range is at the order of few centimeters at best afaik. There are some Polar HRMs which use radio frequencies, and these are also far enough from AI transmitters to probably not interefere (5 khz vs 38 khz), but then at best you would have to choose between AI and radio. Also, Garmin would then have to start selling own-branded radio HRMs, which I fear is not comercially viable (since most people are happy with BT).

Garmin HRM use ANT+ so does Polar.
Basically half the devices that share info with smart watches and computers are using ANT+ (speed sensors, HRM sensors, cadence, etc). Its an industry standard. Not sure what you mean by "garmin would have then have to start selling own branded radio hrms" when they already do. I posted two above, and my Edge for my bike came with one too.

Also I don't believe either the HRM-Swim or HRM-Tri during a swim transmits data, it saves it and uploads it after the activity. Which makes sense.

What is ANT+ - THIS IS ANT

Also I don't believe either the HRM-Swim or HRM-Tri during a swim transmits data, it saves it and uploads it after the activity. Which makes sense.

What is ANT+ - THIS IS ANT

I thought garmin was using bluetooth... anyway, you're right, they save and then upload after the activity. I have no idea why you believe it makes sense, but for me it doesn't work: I need to monitor my heartbeat real-time and since I use dry suits I can not use the wrist sensor... I know many people are not happy with this limitation

I thought garmin was using bluetooth... anyway, you're right, they save and then upload after the activity. I have no idea why you believe it makes sense, but for me it doesn't work: I need to monitor my heartbeat real-time and since I use dry suits I can not use the wrist sensor... I know many people are not happy with this limitation
Out of interest, why do you need to monitor your heart rate in real time while you are scuba diving?

BLE would probably work fine too. ANT+ is universally accepted for external low power devices though moreso than BLE. If its under a drysuit maybe try a normal Garmin strap HRM? Since it won't be submerged. I've used mine in downpours with no adverse affects. HRM Dual is BT and ANT+ and about $70

Garmin HRM-Dual™ | Heart Rate Monitor with Chest Strap

BLE would probably work fine too. ANT+ is universally accepted for external low power devices though moreso than BLE. If its under a drysuit maybe try a normal Garmin strap HRM? Since it won't be submerged. I've used mine in downpours with no adverse affects. HRM Dual is BT and ANT+ and about $70

Garmin HRM-Dual™ | Heart Rate Monitor with Chest Strap

I have the strap for triathlon an I tried it. It works as when swimming (so no real time), with the extra disadvantage that it does not record anything below a certain depth (I have no idea why)

I have the strap for triathlon an I tried it. It works as when swimming (so no real time), with the extra disadvantage that it does not record anything below a certain depth (I have no idea why)

Sadly my honeymoon was supposed to be in France (Les Sables-d'Olonne for the Vendee start) this Nov but with COVID we cancelled our plans otherwise I would have brought my normal HRM strap over for you to test. :(

Sadly my honeymoon was supposed to be in France (Les Sables-d'Olonne for the Vendee start) this Nov but with COVID we cancelled our plans otherwise I would have brought my normal HRM strap over for you to test. :(

Thanks :) but in the Facebook group for descent owners we discussed this issue several times, so I am pretty sure someone in the group tried the normal HRM already. Unfortunately, we never solved the issue, and Garmin support says that their sensors are not conceived for working underwater at depth, so they can't help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom