Galileo Trimix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is some speculation that SP will overcome the trimix debacle by offering an OLED upgrade, along with trimix, to Sol owners (similar to what Shearwater did). Pure speculation in my diving circle but would be nice. Myself, I'm going with the Uemis.

While I as a SOL owner would be happy for them to do this, don't hold your breath. It seems much more reasonable for them to finally get the trimix out for the current generation and then release a newer OLED design..

As for OLED and mixed gas diving, I have 2 X1's that will remain my primary and backup for that type of diving even after trimix for the SOL is released, unless the SOL is running VPM B/E that will match up to my v-Planner, which I seriously doubt.

With regard to the Uemis.. It looks like a pretty cool computer but I'm surprised they didn't release it originally with gauge mode (now upgraded), and there is no internal compass. When navigating I prefer to use my SK7 but it is still a decent feature if you didn't bring a compass along and need one.

Here's a fairly recent Uemis review:
Seaduction ® - UEMIS Zurich SDA review

Interesting comments TT. I just finished demo'ing the Uemis and it is an extraordinary instrument. Thanks for the review link but it was rather anemic for an "insider review" - superficial really. For instance, the most important non-obvious advantage the Uemis has over other all-in-one computers, including the Galileo Sol, is that it will not lock you out if you overstay your welcome. Though I agree with you on the e-compass - who cares?! Like any air integrated computer, it would be crazy to use a one-size fits all algorithm like VPM when you can get real time information and adjustment of your deco obligation based on gas consumption. So no ding there. My dings: 1) too briight for my dive buddies (much brighter than the X1) and was distracting for them, 2) solar panel a waste of real estate.

Back to the Sol and trimix. Promising, and in writing no less, an imminent trimix upgrade for 2 1/2 years is a marketing disaster. If Johnson's Wax had any real interest in supporting ScubaPro, they would do something spectacular. And based on the proliferation of OLED computers, this seems a reasonable one. On the other hand, I will take your advice and not hold my breath. I have been told by our rep (JG) that their legal department's review of the new manual is holding things up-for 2 1/2 years? Yea right. Other dive buddies have gotten feedback that the upgrade is sporadic in function - sounds more plausable but for a competent company like ScubaPro I'm not so sure. JG says DEMA, we'll see. BTW, Uemis also says DEMO for there trimix upgrade.

The Galileo Sol is a recreational computer. If you desire a tri-mix computer purchase a Shearwater. As the old saying goes - "Jack of all trades, master of none"...

The Galileo Sol is a recreational computer. If you desire a tri-mix computer purchase a Shearwater. As the old saying goes - "Jack of all trades, master of none"...

It moves past the recreational range as soon as it (and the others) adds mixed gas support, IMO, even if I probably won't like the algo. As I stated above, I'll stick to my X1's for tech (one is also on all my dives), however, if someone who owns a SOL decides they might be interested in extended range dive training and doesn't have the money to throw down for an X1, Shearwater, etc, it will be great for them to get involved with.

Maybe a bit off topic: With regard to the Shearwater, what were your reasons in going with them? (They are great dive computers - my second choice, and just really personal preferences)

It moves past the recreational range as soon as it (and the others) adds mixed gas support, IMO, even if I probably won't like the algo. As I stated above, I'll stick to my X1's for tech (one is also on all my dives), however, if someone who owns a SOL decides they might be interested in extended range dive training and doesn't have the money to throw down for an X1, Shearwater, etc, it will be great for them to get involved with.

From what I hear, the trimix algorithm is 16 compartment which will also transform non-He mixes into materialy more conservative NDL limits...

Maybe a bit off topic: With regard to the Shearwater, what were your reasons in going with them? (They are great dive computers - my second choice, and just really personal preferences)

Hyperopia, and the fact the dive center I am training with utilizes. If they advocated the X1 I am sure that is what I would have purchased...

I went with a Shearwater Predator SA in part due to the price point compared to an X1 but mostly due to the display, the very intuitive interface, easy to reprogram in water on the fly, and an overall simple no-nonsense approach to a technical diving computer.

That said, I also have a Luna and it offers all the stuff the Shearwater does not - electonic compass, bookmark features, very capable (rather than just utilitarian) download software, and (potentially) trimix capability.

The preliminary testing has been good on the algorithm on it's own, but implementing it in the existing software is complex. It's a complete re-write of some of the fundamental math for figuring out the amount of nitrogen used in calculations.

A 4th button, and a differe nt screen technology are both in demo. The software debugging based on the re-write (not what we'd call a patch or upgrade... it's a re-write of major proportions), and color [change of priority/direction due 2 other major competitors coming out with polished full color units] have been a basis for the delay.

The Uwatec booth at DEMA will be an awfully fun place to hang out.

So, instead of servicing the customers that have purchased the product, Johnson has decided to chase the market for a new product.

I understand the need to keep up with competitors, but there is an obligation to provide the existing customers with the product they were promised (and in a timely manner).

What are the chances they'll make us 'upgrade' to the new product because the old one is no longer supported? Of course they will have to charge us more because the features have changed (never mind we never received the full product we expected). Scubapro has been good to me in the past, I hope it continues. But my faith is fading.

Jeff

A 4th button, and a differe nt screen technology are both in demo. The software debugging based on the re-write (not what we'd call a patch or upgrade... it's a re-write of major proportions), and color [change of priority/direction due 2 other major competitors coming out with polished full color units] have been a basis for the delay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom