Galapagos - Ecuadorean Presidential Decree

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday it was reported on SB2 that Agressor, PH and Explorerer Ventures were the only ones who had bought the proper permits to dive in Galapagos and that is why they are still able to continue operations. There were also posts on SB2 where divers were in Ecuador and were unable to dive.

Booked on Deep Blue 20 - 30 August and have received notification of cancelation. Tour operator has requested until 27 July to 'see how things go'. At this point all I want is a refund as my vacation time is limited and I have to make alternative plans. At a minimum I'll be out $900 for international air travel in and out of Quito. At a maximum the international air travel plus $4400 in trip deposits. All persons wanting to book trips into Galapagos 1. should be well advised NOT to send any deposit money to the tour operators until the situation is clarified 2. carefully consider whether or not alternative dive locations would be more suitable as Galapagos is an expensive trip to begin with and the risk of further policy changes is high.

ChrisM:
Heard the same thing. Makes me sick. Hope it all works out. It's a RIDICULOUS ban. Currently we are on the Aggressor in August.

edit - word I heard was that Aggressor was the only op that ever obtained a dive operations permit, Peter Hughes bought one that I guess is seen as valid.
I sure hope so. We're on the Sky Dancer in August. I'm gonna hold my breath for a month.

Hi sorry I don't seem to be able to reply to the other Galapagos thread which is currently running, SB keeps kicking me out.

I would apreciate any upto date information on the currenty situation as our group has a booking and we have just paid the balance on the trip.

Does anyone know why most of the boats were running with the incorrect permits.

Thanks.

I do not think there is any other up to date information. The latest I have heard is there is a meeting on Tuesday between the Vice president and those effected.

As for why were the boats running without the correct permits...excellent question, One that the boats seems to keep forgeting to answer at the moment! A group of us are due to go in three weeks and the chances are now looking slim. It has been booked for 18 months, planned for longer.

While I have a symphathy with the crews etc not being able to work I also have a huge symphathy with us the customers who in some ways have been misled in that the boats we are booked on do not have the correct permits with which to operate! We purchased something in good faith and technically the operaters could not deliver what they advertised.

As you probably guessed my group and I are not happy! One of our group could not get the time off work so she quit here job so she could go....not looking like a good move now!?!

Thanks for the info Baitballer, we seem to have the same information.

Sorry I haven't replied to your PM but I am having problems with SB and it won't let me open the PM.

Really hope the situation changes for you and you get your trip, just as I hope we get ours, just been informed that travel insurance doesn't cover this sort of thing.

What a mess for any of the groups and individuals scheduled...This scares the heck out of me as we have 3 boats booked on the Aggressor September -- Does any one know if the government is going to make additional changes that could impact the functioning live aboards as well...I keep hearing that Aggressor bookings are solid...
We do have some space aboard 2 of our boats if anyone can get there money back and change their dates...
Pam

You said travel insurance does not cover this??
What about the plans that talk about trip cancellation....nothing there either??
Wow! I thought Dive Assure had a plan that would cover something like this....I will call them today and see what they have to say...

It was my understanding that most of the boats just had permits for land visits only which is what was causing all of the problems. I may be way off but it looks like with all of the increase tourism some of these boats just converted over to get in on the action. Although I am booked on the deep blue next year and it seems they have only ever done dive trips so why they would not have gotten a correct permit right away seems crazy.

I have just got this email which may shed a bit more light on the situation.

At the moment we have a Big Problem in The Galapagos Islands because the National Park Director implemented a new regulation without any previous aware to the Dive tour operators. At the moment all the diving activity is prohibited on the Islands and all the dive boats has been affected with this regulation and No one can dive until we have (all the Galapagos Tour operators) a meeting this Thursday with the Environment Ministry and the President to discuss about this problem and to try to solve it. If everything goes fine in the meeting all the boats are going to run their tours as they plan if not we’re going to have a serious problem!!!!

So Thursday it is now. We will have to wait and see. I have also been told that insurance will not cover this since it is a governement issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom