Galapagos - Ecuadorean Presidential Decree

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the take from Dive Assure's policy... Either way -- we do have openings if someone does get their money back and would like to join us on Aggressor...

The policy does not cover loss caused by a default by the person, agency, or tour operator from who you purchased your travel arrangements, or a cancellation of travel arrangements unless the cancellation is a result of bad weather (Please refer to Part B of the Description of Coverage: http://www.diveassure.com/new/usa/coverage

Hi everyone -

EnronX and I were booked on Deep Blue for 8/6 - 8/13 and things don't look too good. All the information EnronX references is virtually a cut-and-paste from our tour operator - Galapagos Adventures.

It truly makes me sick to my stomach... I've planned and looked forward to this trip for almost a year, and to have it ripped away in one swift motion three weeks prior is just plain awful. It only adds salt to the wound to wonder what will happen with the already paid $3500 in limbo...

I started this thread when I first learned of the political action a few months ago. At that point, I had some slight concern that there may be an issue, but wrote it off as overhyped media... I never thought that the Ecuadorian / Galapagos politicians could take such a swift, heavy-handed approach. Especially against a group that is probably causing significantly less of an impact than land tour operators and illegal fishing.

Now we are left wondering what will happen with our trip. In my mind, we are not going, but I have to wait until 7/27 for our tour operator to give us the final say...

I'm in the process of drafting a letter that hopefully might do something and at least make me feel better...I feel so useless in this situation and I hate the feeling of helplessness here...I'm also now SOL with my international $800 airfare since i booked the flight a year ago.

I'm planning on sending it out to:

Maria Isabel Salvador Ministry of Tourism
Raquel Molina - the Director on the Galapagos National Park and the
person who created this problem
Nubia Jaramillo - Coordinator of Marketing of Ministry of Tourism
Patricio Tamariz director of “Fondo Mixto Promocion Turistica” - the
organization in charge of promoting Ecuador throughout the world
The Ministry of Outer Relations
Galapagos National Park Department of Tourism
Ministry of Galapagos Tourism
Charlie Veraz – an Ecuadorian investigative reporter

Baitballer, thanks for posting the email...Anything that I'm getting from our operator (Deep Blue) I'll also try and get up here on SB.

I'd love to have some way to get the meeting notes or transcript of what transpires in these meetings...The operators should have their case made out extra-ordinarily clearly and forcefully how this rash decision could adversely affect so many Ecuadorians as well as the PR blow....They could also put together a good economic model for the $ impact this ban would have ~$50M to $100 in lost revenue over the next few years?

I also feel duped...We looked at a number of the operators before we signed up with Deep Blue and honestly our decision came down between DB and the Aggressor...That's part of what is so maddening about our August trip being RUINED, the fact that if we just would have chosen a different boat we'd still be going...$4500 invested in this with trip and it's looking very bleak

Ken from Galapagos Adventures requested that each of us draft a letter and gave us a list of people to send it to... the ones EnronX has pasted above. I will be doing it, but I just hate knowing in advance how likely it is to fall upon deaf ears.

Sad to hear about this,of all trips this one would be hurting me real bad,so feel for you all and good luck.

I did hear correct me if am wrong that there is big illegal emigrates problems in the islands and really think that they should be really sorting this problem out.

yes, the population on the islands has exploded...much of it to meet the demands of the increased tourism...problem is that Ecuador is, instead of working to solve the problem of land-based poaching and illegal immigration, they are banning the paying tourists who love and respect the ecology...Talk about biting the hand that feeds

Absolute idiocy...makes me sick to even think about how inappropriately handled this situation has been.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom