G260 vs alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Aloha,

I’m considering a new reg. I’d like something like a G250 that’s quieter and a little more compact, which I imagine is a G260. I have converted BAs but like the 250 performance better. I’m curious how the offerings from DGX, Deep 6, Dive Rite and others compare. This would be a self-serviced reg for warm water usage.

Mahalo,
Joe

All good second stages cited and for the most part the same design, the G260 is a really nice second but I wouldn’t pay a huge premium over the others, at a good price it would be my first choice.

Aloha,

I’m considering a new reg. I’d like something like a G250 that’s quieter and a little more compact, which I imagine is a G260. I have converted BAs but like the 250 performance better. I’m curious how the offerings from DGX, Deep 6, Dive Rite and others compare. This would be a self-serviced reg for warm water usage.

Mahalo,
Joe
Can you get parts kits there?

If you have to think about that, I would go with Deep6.

Aloha,

Mahalo,
Joe

A G250 is physically the same size as the G260, uses the same diaphragm size and exhaust valve and service kits and is actually slightly lighter. As to being quieter, there is no difference between a G250 and a G260 in use. The G250 continues in production under the Halycon brand. The G250/G260/Halycon are all high performance and rugged regulators with glass fiber reinforced polyamide cases that are exceedingly rugged thus their long service life as many are still diving G250 regulator sets that are approaching 40 years old. Somethings are forever.

A couple of years ago, after shoulder surgery I went into the local diver store and there was a G260 set hanging on the wall. I asked to see it but he had to hold it for me so I could look at it. I guess they like me or took pity on me and sold me the set heavily discounted. I love them, almost as much as my (fleet of) G250s. Yes, I am clearly brand biased in this.

Maybe some clarification is in order:
I said "compact" but should have said refined. The 260 is physically smaller than the 250, not by much but it seems just tucked in enough in the right places to matter. I had the two side-by-side yesterday.

And to be clear I’m looking at DGX Xtra, Dive Rite XT4, and Deep 6 Signature. The XT4 is marketed as smaller, but this review says it breathes not quite as easy, which makes sense if it has a smaller diaphragm:

The same review also mentions the word "quiet" specifically when discussing the 260 and the 2 other regs that have the most similar case geometry (Highland Vortex and XS Inspire.)

One could maybe argue I‘m trying to split hairs, but I think I would really enjoy a quieter 250 that was just a little more streamlined. That said, I agree that full retail for a 260 makes it less appealing especially when I have two pairs of 250s and 109s that I paid less than $100/ea for. And more especially without being able to try it to see how much quieter and smaller it seems underwater.

I like the XT4 for size and looks, Gears Xtra for looks and wide-open support. I like the D6 for the company and effort, but don’t really care for the aesthetic despite all the color options. And deep down we all know what I’d really like to have - minus the price tag.

And deep down we all know what I’d really like to have - minus the price tag.

These two will go toe to toe with about anything:

Deep Down you know what you want, life is too short, get the G260s you hanker for. It is only money.

Scubapro G260, G250 with official Scubapro Surf cover, 156BA CE with the full size exhaust valve:

Anyways, hope you will be happy with whatever you settle on, of the sets you listed they are all said to be fine, I can only speak for the S brand sets.

I just tuned my G250 and have DGX XTRA. Will test this weekend and report back. However, my surface tests say that they're about the same in terms of performance with G250 winning by a very slight margin. Either will be a good deal.

This isn’t directly related to the thread but, hey it’s Scubaboard, where tangents are often the most interesting part of the thread.

So why did Scubapro install a ridiculous hose on my new second stages? It looks like it requires a special tool to remove. Does it work better? (Doubtful) Is it there to make sure you have to take it to your LDS to remove? (Probably) Is there a compelling reason I shouldn’t just take a pair of pliers and get it off that way? Thanks for you input!

Attachments

• 9ED086E5-77F1-49AB-8FC8-7C5E2B8DCF51.jpeg
    9ED086E5-77F1-49AB-8FC8-7C5E2B8DCF51.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 95
This isn’t directly related to the thread but, hey it’s Scubaboard, where tangents are often the most interesting part of the thread.

So why did Scubapro install a ridiculous hose on my new second stages? It looks like it requires a special tool to remove. Does it work better?
No.
(Doubtful) Is it there to make sure you have to take it to your LDS to remove? (Probably) Is there a compelling reason I shouldn’t just take a pair of pliers and get it off that way? Thanks for you input!
The only reason not to use pliers is cosmetics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom