Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But but but some of us like collecting tools, there's hours of procrastination being able to select the right table saw, reading reviews, etc. :cool:

Just like an underused table saw, an underused rebreather is an expensive ornament and a dangerous diving tool; competence is earned through lots of practice and it's rather volatile, slowly ebbing with disuse.

The point is I like my rebreather. I'd happily dive it in a shallow puddle, a pool, anywhere.

To that end I must get around to disposing of all my open circuit diving kit that cannot be re-purposed for CCR. It needs a loving home.
We're polar opposite, if I could get to the wrecks naked that's the way I'd do it. Photo is of a large piece of bog oak I spent 2 months carving with the tools on the plinth. You'd search out a machine and have it done in a 2 days.

Attachments

• 20220510_093159.jpg
    20220510_093159.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 43
We're polar opposite, if I could get to the wrecks naked that's the way I'd do it. Photo is of a large piece of bog oak I spent 2 months carving with the tools on the plinth. You'd search out a machine and have it done in a 2 days.
Great carving.

There’s many more options available to the diver on CCR.

In the catastrophic event of a CO2 breakthrough, major flood or caustic cocktail it’s a full bailout and head to the surface ASAP.

However, those are rare failure modes. More likely are non catastrophic failures such as electronics, batteries, O2 cells, solenoid (open or closed), injectors, automatic diluent valves, gas supplies, regulators, wing, etc. All of which are inconvenient and easily worked around — some may not even end the dive early — providing you practice and think about them in advance.

Does depend upon the unit, some have sufficient redundancy, others far less.

Well I did it, so either it's not that rare or I'm a cluster*%&$, lol! (operator error).

Which one (and how -- so we can all learn) :)
The Peter Ready Incredible Steam Machine.

It's a long time ago now but from what I remember, we had just changed it into a sidemount CCR with a sphere for the O-2, which required you to set up and test the loop right before the dive. I misthreaded a loop hose in such a way that it passed a positive and negative test, but started to leak on the dive, gargled with some saltwater and bailed out! The takeaway is that if you have a loop hose with a thread, push and pull on it to make sure it can't move in or out when you're done threading it on.

Do it once.... Learn an invaluable lesson!

These videos are a great summary and a reminder that you don't need Trimix for all of your diving. But if you do need Trimix, rebreathers are the way to go:

All of my stories feature me as the dumbass, and there is always a takeaway.
You and me both.

It's amazing how much my IQ drops underwater. Training and practice is the medicine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom