Future aka New Normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone benefits, the travellers, the hospitality & tourist industries and the 100's of thousands unemployed workers in the flight & aviation business

It benefits the host country not the country that is sending tourist out. In this case of indonesia we are talking about, no country that has the virus under control will risk it.

It benefits the host country not the country that is sending tourist out. In this case of indonesia we are talking about, no country that has the virus under control will risk it.
I cannot say more than that I fully agree with you. Sad but true. Indonesia need a "revolusi mental" and much, much more testing and contact tracing. All the things which will never happen.

I cannot say more than that I fully agree with you. Sad but true. Indonesia need a "revolusi mental" and much, much more testing and contact tracing. All the things which will never happen.

Please don't in anyway think I am insulting indonesia or its people. I love the place and have been travelling regularly there since the 90s. However its governance leaves much to be desired unfortunately.

Please don't in anyway think I am insulting indonesia or its people. I love the place and have been travelling regularly there since the 90s. However its governance leaves much to be desired unfortunately.
It is a combination of the history, culture, economical state of the country, education and geography.

I think I need to gove some perspective on the 50/100k infections per week :)
Firstly, it is a political number set forth when Germany was moving from a nation/state wide approach to more localised measures. No sientific basis, roughly equal to the highest numbers Germany recorded end of March/early April and though to be way to high by most. Berlin e.g. has lowered it's threshold 30/100k/week with alarms starting at 20/100k/week.
Secondly, as things are, this has then been taken over by others countries (like so often, you need one to start :wink:).
As of today, of the major European countries, only Sweden is above that at 76, Germany at 4 and the previously mentioned Netherlands are at 3, like Indonesia. Singapore is at 22.
Which leads us to opening travel (remember, Germany only has a travel advisory, to a travel ban. If I can get there I can go to any country in the world, even if war and plague are raging there). And it becomes again highly political and very unfair.
E.g., the EU might decide that it is save to travel or transit through Singapore but still would advise against travel to Indonesia. The reasoning for that would run along the lines that Singapore can provide better health care to sick travellers and that the current cases in Singapore are more confined to the workers dormitories. Sounds unfair with Indonesia having lower rates of infection? Definately, but that's politics :(.

Hope that helps a little to make things clearer and gives an insight into how Europe will re-start world-wide travel.

According to the news of the time. Some people believe anything they see in the news.

Look at England & Europe and how many people died there, but hundreds of thousands of tourists are hitting the beaches and restaurants, and diving. If you believe everything in the Western media, you'll believe that everyone wants to live in wrapped in cotton wool, cocooned in isolation until there's news that it's safe to come out and dive again

I think I need to gove some perspective on the 50/100k infections per week :)
Firstly, it is a political number set forth when Germany was moving from a nation/state wide approach to more localised measures. No sientific basis, roughly equal to the highest numbers Germany recorded end of March/early April and though to be way to high by most. Berlin e.g. has lowered it's threshold 30/100k/week with alarms starting at 20/100k/week.
Secondly, as things are, this has then been taken over by others countries (like so often, you need one to start :wink:).
As of today, of the major European countries, only Sweden is above that at 76, Germany at 4 and the previously mentioned Netherlands are at 3, like Indonesia. Singapore is at 22.
Which leads us to opening travel (remember, Germany only has a travel advisory, to a travel ban. If I can get there I can go to any country in the world, even if war and plague are raging there). And it becomes again highly political and very unfair.
E.g., the EU might decide that it is save to travel or transit through Singapore but still would advise against travel to Indonesia. The reasoning for that would run along the lines that Singapore can provide better health care to sick travellers and that the current cases in Singapore are more confined to the workers dormitories. Sounds unfair with Indonesia having lower rates of infection? Definately, but that's politics :(.

Hope that helps a little to make things clearer and gives an insight into how Europe will re-start world-wide travel.
Thanks, understand it much better now.

I'm not criticising the government, but it's clear from early on since he took power that President Jokowi tried/still trying/aspiring to change Indonesia to a conservative Islamic nation similar to Malaysia. But the majority of Indonesians are working class on lower wages and not seeing much improvement, most improvements as a result of globalisation
I love Indonesia, it's my favourite country/place, the people are the most open & genuinely friendly people. I think with a 273 million population is next to near impossible to eliminate covid virus unless the virus itself dies out like SARS. Otherwise just gotta live with it & keep some kind of controls without shutting the country/world down

Back
Top Bottom