fundies for experienced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave,

It's hard to say if you'll benefit or not, but there's only one way to find out... I took the class with only 4 or 500 dives and had a much easier time than one of the more experienced advanced trimix divers that took the course. Why? I already had cave experience and was very comfortable with buoyancy, trim, the various finning techniques, and OOG drills. Number of dives is a poor indicator - you need to look at the quality of your dives. Keep in mind, that even if your skills are top notch, some of the instructors (yes, you Mike :wink: ) are still going to knock you down.

Enjoy the class.

Bruce

I've completed two days of DIR-F and tomorrow is the last day, thankfully. In a word, I really suck! I cannot get my trim or buoyancy correct at all. I can't blame the 7mil wetsuit for everything but I'm really discuraged at the moment. I'll do the swim test tomorrow but am not looking forward to doing any of the drills because I cannot get my buoyancy under control. Vertical in the water, I can hang in one spot forever, horozontal it a real problem. I hope Brando can get something figured out because I'm really frustrated. By the way, Brando and Scot are really, really great instructors. There is a lot to learn in this class. Theory, gas management, the 4 pillars of DIR (great info, incidentally) that actually are NEED to know for any diver. Enough for now, I need some sleep for more torture in the morning. :)

Hey Randy - don't think it hopeless - I can't tell you how many folks I've run into that considered leaving diving completely during the middle of DIR-F who are now excellent divers that have a solid grasp of the basics. I too couldn't believe how bad I was during DIR-F, but after being exposed to the principles it's amazing how quickly they start sinking in. It's too much to learn in 3 days, but it gives you the tools you need, which with practice will make you a better diver. I got a long way to go, but the journey of learning has been incredible so far :D

Aloha, Tim

Randy43068:
In a word, I really suck!

That's three words ... and none the worse for having been used by most of us who have taken the class.

So what you've really demonstrated is that you're fairly normal. So finish the class, then go practice with your buddies. You'll feel much better about it in a couple months ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's odd that this thread was resurrected because I was thinking of digging it up again.

Dave: Any word on the situation regarding instruction in light of the recent events?

SeanQ:
It's odd that this thread was resurrected because I was thinking of digging it up again.

Dave: Any word on the situation regarding instruction in light of the recent events?
If you are referring to any political strife that may be occuring it means nothing to me. My intention is to take a course from Joe and I don't care if I get a card or who's agency is on the card or whatever. I just want the experience.
I will be contacting Joe this week.

wedivebc:
If you are referring to any political strife that may be occuring it means nothing to me. My intention is to take a course from Joe and I don't care if I get a card or who's agency is on the card or whatever. I just want the experience.
I will be contacting Joe this week.

To bad you can't make it down this way Dave, the diving is really great in Monterey. :D Joe really is a great guy and a very good instructor, you won't be disappointed. :)

Randy43068:
In a word, I really suck!

Exactly what I said after my first DIR-F... finally got thru it.... Read Seajay's DIR-F report... it's one of my favorites.

Remember to type up a report after the class.... Just like the others have said just stick with it... it'll come just absorb as much as you can.

Ben_ca:
.... Read Seajay's DIR-F report... it's one of my favorites...

Yeah - he wrote up one of the best fundies reports I've read - I really miss the "novels" he used to write for us. His report was one of the reasons I looked into DIR to begin with.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom