fundies for experienced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
I audited a whole class and part of another a couple of years ago. I'd recomend it to the vast majority of divers and I think it's fantastic for any instructor to see. I still think the "skill" shock that many divers go through is just because diving isn't taught at all. They teach underwater kneeling and breathing and then they tell you to go teach yourself to dive but never define "diving" for you. LOL. It's compounded by the fact that you only have 2 days and the more advanced skills are tough if you can't hover...and most people can't.

I was really impressed with the class in general. They do some things that I really like and blatantly stole when I was still teaching. You know what they say...good artists barrow and great artists steal. A couple of specific things ...off the top of my head...I really like the way they teach gas sharing. I hadn't ever seen it broken down that way and I thought it was great. I also got a kick out of seeing some poor shmuck strugle through a valve drill and come out of it thinking he did ok only to get dinged because while he was busy with his valves they had his buddy swim away without him noticing.

I also really liked the content and organization of the classroom portion. Again, good for divers but really great for instructors.

As you alluded to, I think the biggest take-away from the class is the focus on situational awareness... most divers really suck at buddy awareness.... especially getting that tunnel-vision when a task comes up.... Yeh, folks struggle with the skills... but having to do skills/handle emergencies and keep track of the team, now that's a wake-up call.... amazing how many buddies died in a 3 person team while two of them were getting back to the upline during an air-share...:D ... happens every class, and mine was no exception...

BCS:
Thanks for the kind words Randy!
To be honest, you guys make the class what it is. All of the students put in 110% every day. Open minded, enthusiastic divers are really what make the class such a good time for all involved!
I am looking forward to the near future and seeing what the class has been able to do for you and your diving!

Best,
brando
Did I really say something nice about you and Scot? I must have bumped my head! :D

Seriously, thank you for your patience. Truly you and Scot care about people becoming better divers.

Next time you see me in the water I WILL be.. well, I'll be better than I was before. :)

wb416:
As you alluded to, I think the biggest take-away from the class is the focus on situational awareness... most divers really suck at buddy awareness.... especially getting that tunnel-vision when a task comes up.... Yeh, folks struggle with the skills... but having to do skills/handle emergencies and keep track of the team, now that's a wake-up call.... amazing how many buddies died in a 3 person team while two of them were getting back to the upline during an air-share...:D ... happens every class, and mine was no exception...
No sir, you are wrong. He just didn't die, we KILLED him with neglect! :)

Randy43068:
No sir, you are wrong. He just didn't die, we KILLED him with neglect! :)

Gee Randy... I wasn't talking about what you two did to Mark... but now that you brought it up... :D

...besides... he committed suicide and lost the will to live :reaper: ... why else would he have given up a perfectly good donated reg just because it wasn't donated properly....

(you can lead an OOA diver to air :baby:, but ya can't make 'em breath :no )

Wow, it sounds like it was a very productive training...

I look forward to hearing more soon.

Chao,,,,

Randy43068:
Thank your for the advice and kind words! You know who you are :)

I finished the fundies class Sunday, and today am stiff and sore but am a better diver because of DIR.

I'll type something up when the dust settles and I get a moment. In a nutshell:
Great training for anyone who dives. GUE has a different approach from the training I’ve had in the past in that they expect the student to do it right. (no play on the name) They insist that the basics are done correctly before moving on. They don't lower expectations of student performance just so they can pass students on.

GUE has top notch people teaching their curriculum. Brando and Scot are very professional competent instructors. Besides being excellent divers both of these men are really nice guys. They are very personable, I cannot say enough good things about both men. That's not an exaggeration either.

:D
Oh Randy, you're next......... :reaper: :kopfab:

I loved class. And the criticism was not at all difficult to take. (Of course after killing off your teammate you pretty much deserve any criticism coming your way..... :D )I'm just thinking that Scot and Brando took it easy on me because of being royalty and all....... :madamy:

I'm ready to get out there and do some more practice. I would have liked to do some more diving that day. Afterall, I wasn't out of teammates, yet.

I have to say, other than eliminating teammates, my favorite thing I took away from the class was actually being able to make myself move backwards (sometimes, and not far.....but this is just way too cool :dance:)

I wish I were in the quarry now instead of at work. I'd love to be running a few scenarios. I need to work on that whole multi-tasking thing. I'm really good at it at work, or raising children. So I should be able to get the hang of it, eventually. I've given myself twelve years to turn a provisional into a pass. :14:

So who's going to be at Gilboa on Saturday? I need to practice. :reaper:

Penny,,

You must pass the class...................:D

pennypue:

I loved class. And the criticism was not at all difficult to take. (Of course after killing off your teammate you pretty much deserve any criticism coming your way..... :D )I'm just thinking that Scot and Brando took it easy on me because of being royalty and all....... :madamy:

I'm ready to get out there and do some more practice. I would have liked to do some more diving that day. Afterall, I wasn't out of teammates, yet.

I have to say, other than eliminating teammates, my favorite thing I took away from the class was actually being able to make myself move backwards (sometimes, and not far.....but this is just way too cool :dance:)

I wish I were in the quarry now instead of at work. I'd love to be running a few scenarios. I need to work on that whole multi-tasking thing. I'm really good at it at work, or raising children. So I should be able to get the hang of it, eventually. I've given myself twelve years to turn a provisional into a pass. :14:

OK, getting my rig together and I need some advice from cold water folks. What is the best way to don the harness when wearing a shell drysuit with dry glove cuffs? I am really going to miss my shoulder fastex buckle if I can't get it sorted out.

Skills practice is good ... just remember to have fun too. I came out of my first Fundies class so wrapped around the axle over my poor performance that I was determined to work on skills ... and realized after a few dives that I had stopped having fun. I've seen other recent Fundies grads go through the same symptoms. It's a trap. By all means practice, but also make it a point to just relax and have fun ... you'll improve faster that way.

Reverse is a hoot, ain't it ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

pennypue:
:D

If I am using a picnic table to get set up (not on a boat), I but the harness on and then pop the gloves on the rings. I have on a boat, put the gloves on and then gotten into the harness. no issues with the waist strap of getting sorted out.

Have a good class

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom