fundies for experienced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotta agree...Seajay's report is my favorite too.

Having completed DIR Fundies, and looking to Tech1, I can answer your questions:

1. is my equipment required to be DIR during training (I'll leave the rebreather at home)? Yes, your equipment must be DIR based (back inflate, wing, etc)
2. does this course benefit more experienced divers? This course will benefit anyone who is interested in becoming a better diver, and learning more diver / environment friendly techniques.
3. if a diver with 1000+ dives fails a dir-f does PADI have to be notified :D Trust me, Padi doesn't care about GUE at ALL!!!
any comments appreciated[/QUOTE]

Thank your for the advice and kind words! You know who you are :)

I finished the fundies class Sunday, and today am stiff and sore but am a better diver because of DIR.

I'll type something up when the dust settles and I get a moment. In a nutshell:
Great training for anyone who dives. GUE has a different approach from the training I’ve had in the past in that they expect the student to do it right. (no play on the name) They insist that the basics are done correctly before moving on. They don't lower expectations of student performance just so they can pass students on.

GUE has top notch people teaching their curriculum. Brando and Scot are very professional competent instructors. Besides being excellent divers both of these men are really nice guys. They are very personable, I cannot say enough good things about both men. That's not an exaggeration either.

Where's he been? I haven't seen a posting from him in quite a while.

Ben_ca:
Exactly what I said after my first DIR-F... finally got thru it.... Read Seajay's DIR-F report... it's one of my favorites.

Remember to type up a report after the class.... Just like the others have said just stick with it... it'll come just absorb as much as you can.

permanent vaca to scuba t a l k .org

That site no longer is alive......tried to get to it last night to see if it was still functioning. Alas, it is no longer assesable.

kidspot:
Yeah - he wrote up one of the best fundies reports I've read - I really miss the "novels" he used to write for us. His report was one of the reasons I looked into DIR to begin with.

Aloha, Tim

Just in case anyone's wondering what we're talking about.... SeaJay wrote a pretty good DIRf report DIR Class: The Truth Comes Out

I audited a whole class and part of another a couple of years ago. I'd recomend it to the vast majority of divers and I think it's fantastic for any instructor to see. I still think the "skill" shock that many divers go through is just because diving isn't taught at all. They teach underwater kneeling and breathing and then they tell you to go teach yourself to dive but never define "diving" for you. LOL. It's compounded by the fact that you only have 2 days and the more advanced skills are tough if you can't hover...and most people can't.

I was really impressed with the class in general. They do some things that I really like and blatantly stole when I was still teaching. You know what they say...good artists barrow and great artists steal. A couple of specific things ...off the top of my head...I really like the way they teach gas sharing. I hadn't ever seen it broken down that way and I thought it was great. I also got a kick out of seeing some poor shmuck strugle through a valve drill and come out of it thinking he did ok only to get dinged because while he was busy with his valves they had his buddy swim away without him noticing.

I also really liked the content and organization of the classroom portion. Again, good for divers but really great for instructors.

Randy43068:
Thank your for the advice and kind words! You know who you are :)

I finished the fundies class Sunday, and today am stiff and sore but am a better diver because of DIR.

I'll type something up when the dust settles and I get a moment. In a nutshell:
Great training for anyone who dives. GUE has a different approach from the training I’ve had in the past in that they expect the student to do it right. (no play on the name) They insist that the basics are done correctly before moving on. They don't lower expectations of student performance just so they can pass students on.

GUE has top notch people teaching their curriculum. Brando and Scot are very professional competent instructors. Besides being excellent divers both of these men are really nice guys. They are very personable, I cannot say enough good things about both men. That's not an exaggeration either.

Thanks for the kind words Randy!
To be honest, you guys make the class what it is. All of the students put in 110% every day. Open minded, enthusiastic divers are really what make the class such a good time for all involved!
I am looking forward to the near future and seeing what the class has been able to do for you and your diving!

Best,
brando

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom