fundies for experienced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
Well I originally approached Sonya Tittle about this but she became unavailable and was referred to Joe Talavera.
Our schedules didn't jive at the time (last fall) so I am open to suggestions.

Joe is a good friend and a good instructor and he represents the system very well. If you need some contact info for him, just let me know and I'll be happy to PM it to you. :)

wedivebc:
1. is my equipment required to be DIR during training (I'll leave the rebreather at home)?

they'll require a long hose. The standards and procedures go into depth with the equipment requirements: http://www.gue.com/classroom/standards/PDF/GUE_Standards_2003v2a.pdf

Your instructor will be able to answer any questions about other equipment requirements. They sometimes prefer you to use what you use... that way they can address why something is or is not DIR, and can point out difficiencies during the class [fins are a big one that becomes very clear when you watch them flop around on the video].

Joe's a great instructor and I'm sure you'll have a blast. Joe doesn't teach in a way that leaves you feeling like a failure if you fall short of passing. He's very positive and supportive.

The course is very tough but I'm sure you'll take your diving to a whole new level even with your experience.

This will be a very interesting report for us all to look forward to.

-Chris

wedivebc:
That's why I want to do it with other instructors. We can all go home and lick our wounds and never tell a soul what happened.

Unless I took the class as well and "leaked" the information. :D

Seriously, when are you thinking of doing the course?

SeanQ:
Unless I took the class as well and "leaked" the information. :D

Seriously, when are you thinking of doing the course?
sept 30 - oct 2 in Port Alberni. My house is 40min away and we have a spare couch if you're interested.

Dave, I'm in shock!! I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight. :D

Thanks for the offer Dave. I'll have to look into it. I would hate to pass up the chance to dive with so many experienced instructors, DIR or not.

Hyper-limits:
Dave, I'm in shock!! I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight. :D

Would you like your glass of Kool-Aid served with a light anesthetic? :D

Joe is a great guy.
I don't do well with bad or "so so at best " leadership.
I knew soon that this was not going to be an issue.
He has a way of making you want to do your best.
As for your questions...a good friend of mine and I just discussed simular ones just the other day.
She really didn't want to rent a can light or even borrow mine.
Bad idea because the experiance will be less with out .
I had 140 dives when I took my class and wish I did it with about 25 or so dives.
I'll spare you my padi experiance rant :D
Not sure if this helps any.
Andy

1. is my equipment required to be DIR during training (I'll leave the rebreather at home)?

yes you have to have your equipment dir mainly your long hoses, bp etc.

2. does this course benefit more experienced divers?

yes it will benefit you but i have noticed that divers with more dives were harder to teach than newer divers bec of their moldability vs. bad habits picked up

3. if a diver with 1000+ dives fails a dir-f does PADI have to be notified :D

:)

any comments appreciated

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom