fundies for experienced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
1. is my equipment required to be DIR during training (I'll leave the rebreather at home)?
No split fins, a Non bungied wing, a long hose primary (bungied backup) and your good to go.

wedivebc:
2. does this course benefit more experienced divers?
Hmmmmmm....Maybe, maybe not. A lot will depend on you.

Last year I saw 3 different responses given by experienced divers from getting a "Provisional" from their DIR-F class.

One diver that was an experienced trimix diver (dives up to the 300 ft range), pretty much quit diving. (There have been some signs lately that funk might be able to be broken...here's to hoping)

Another is a Adv Nitrox/Deco (but not trimix...thank god) Instructor. He couldn't seem to grasp the fact that he didn't pass. The video evidence of him bouncing in the silt while attempting to do a valve drill (he never did complete it) didn't seem to be able to convince him that he didn't have the skills required for technical diving. Actually, the week after his fundies he came out to visit the next fundies class being held. He decided to go Solo Scooter diving. You should of seen AG face...it was classic. He even asked some people if he could send a video tape of himself to AG to get his certification...LOL. So...failure didn't seem to have any real effect on him. Other than he is very anti-DIR now.

Another was a Trimix instructor that preformed so badly he unfortunately became the butt of some jokes. But unlike the other instructor, he humbly admitted his weakness in his skills and started working hard on improving them. At this point I wouldn't have a problem recommending him (although, he should get some more trimix dives under his belt IMO)

So will this class benefit you? It might have the opposite effect.

A lot will depend on your personality and the reason you want to take the class. I think one of the problems trimix instructors have is that they are used to doing the judging of others and they also see the GUE Instructors as peers. So some will have issues when their idea's on diving get rejected by their "Peers" (GUE Instructors)

The "farther" away your diving is from DIR procedures the more problems you will have IMO. Because if you trying to suppress your natural reactions and "impose" a new DIR reaction you end up with a very high level of task loading....which usually results in a loss of buoyancy and trim. (This is why some noobs have a much easier time with fundies)

wedivebc:
3. if a diver with 1000+ dives fails a dir-f does PADI have to be notified :D
Nope...they are the true enemy :wink:

JeffG:
A lot will depend on your personality and the reason you want to take the class. I think one of the problems trimix instructors have is that they are used to doing the judging of others and they also see the GUE Instructors as peers. So some will have issues when their idea's on diving get rejected by their "Peers" (GUE Instructors)

You must ask yourself why so many trimix instructors would take this course.
1. we are trying to show you the errors of your ways and convert the converted... naw that never works
2. we are trying to prove our worth as instructors.... nope we already enjoy the love and admiration of the folks within our agency

3. we are trying to learn new ideas and improve our own diving skills.... more likely

so why would I subject myself to the potential humiliation of dir-f failure when it is easier to rest on my laurels and enjoy the status I already hold within my training agency? Because like it or not DIR is going to be here to stay. Those who oppose it seem to oppose with the same religious fervor that those who subscribe to it have but I think anyone who's opinion I repect on the matter has been on both sides of the fence.
So thanks for the input Jeff, and to those who PMed me about going to the dark side don't worry. I just don't think one can make objective opinions from a computer terminal.

wedivebc:
3. we are trying to learn new ideas and improve our own diving skills.... more likely
Another reason along the same lines. Just seeing how they (GUE) holds their classes and the use of video would be of great use to most instructors.

wedivebc:
so why would I subject myself to the potential humiliation of dir-f failure when it is easier to rest on my laurels and enjoy the status I already hold within my training agency? Because like it or not DIR is going to be here to stay.
Maybe ask if you could audit the class, sit in as an observer during the lectures and stay away from the in-water issues. That would help with the knowledge side without the Internet background noise.

JeffG:
Maybe ask if you could audit the class, sit in as an observer during the lectures and stay away from the in-water issues. That would help with the knowledge side without the Internet background noise.
No way, if my inwater skills aren't up to snuff for a fundies course then they better be so I am going to subject myself to any humility that may come my way.

wedivebc:
No way, if my inwater skills aren't up to snuff for a fundies course then they better be so I am going to subject myself to any humility that may come my way.
In that case, I salute you for your conviction and wish you the best of luck and like Jonathan, I would love to read about your experiences with it.

wedivebc:

You Da man!!!

And after you take the class, if you ever wanna talk bad about it Ill listen. I just think most of the folks who put it down only know what they've read about it on line...from other folks who've only read about it.

Like I said before I salute your efforts and challenge any instructor to do the same. Pass or fail (and I dont think youll fail) youlll get more respect.

wedivebc:
Dave, I have no doubt that you will really get a lot out of this class... and that is largely because of your attitude as demonstrated above.

wedivebc:
Well I originally approached Sonya Tittle about this but she became unavailable and was referred to Joe Talavera.
Our schedules didn't jive at the time (last fall) so I am open to suggestions.
Dave ... I took the class when I became an instructor, for basically the same reason you stated. I wanted to have the skills and see if I could work some of that stuff into my own classes. At the time I had something over 900 dives.

I went in thinking my skills were solid, and I'd pretty much breeze through the class ... after all, I'd been diving with DIR folks for about three years.

Boy ... was I wrong. You can read my report in here somewhere ... it wasn't pretty, and I didn't pass.

Fast forward one year ... after constant work on my skills, I did a re-eval with Joe T. I passed the second time around, and found an awesome instructor to work with in the process. You'll enjoy taking a class from Joe ... and if your experience is anything like mine, you'll benefit greatly from the class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom