Fundamentals Swim Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The 300yrd 14minute swim test is that done with or with out fins? And I can't say that I have actually done laps that I kept track of time but in a 50yrd pool that is six laps which seems manageable but just curious how others have faired.

It is without fins or other aids, I'm not a swimmer and am reasonably fit and it was not an issue. You can use any strike you want as well. I did our cave 1 swim in the run at ginnie and finished with time to spare.

Thanks
It is without fins or other aids, I'm not a swimmer and am reasonably fit and it was not an issue. You can use any strike you want as well. I did our cave 1 swim in the run at ginnie and finished with time to spare.

14mins for 300yds is really really slow, Even dogs swim faster than that. At the GUE-F level the swim test is basically just verifying that you can swim at all. The breath hold part is typically more challenging for folks (at all levels as it gets a little more demanding as you level up).

the breath hold is not a problem form me, I was just trying to quantify the swim distance and time and being that I never really swim laps and count or time I would just hate that to be something I bust on :)
Its probably more about pacing than anything else. Thanks for the input

14mins for 300yds is really really slow, Even dogs swim faster than that. At the GUE-F level the swim test is basically just verifying that you can swim at all. The breath hold part is typically more challenging for folks (at all levels as it gets a little more demanding as you level up).

the breath hold is not a problem form me, I was just trying to quantify the swim distance and time and being that I never really swim laps and count or time I would just hate that to be something I bust on :)
Its probably more about pacing than anything else. Thanks for the input

Yup! If you keep a steady pace throughout the swim you shouldn't have any problems

Actually the swim tests should be the last things to focus on. The rest is more challenging :)

I'm not a swimmer. I've taken exactly one swimming lesson in my life, and my technique is nonexisitant. If I've been getting in the pool quite a bit, I can do the fundies swim test in less than 7 minutes. Takes me about 9 if I haven't been swimming.

I did the test sidestroke, and in a little over 10 minutes.

Be aware that the 300 yard/14 minute standard is not always what the instructor will ask you to do. We had to do 400 yards; in Cave 1, we were allowed 12 minutes.

Any tips for achieving the 50-ft breath-hold swim? I tried it using a sort of ugly breast stroke, and I didn't make it 50 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom