Fundamentals Swim Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you caught a break from your instructor:

2.2.2.8 Required Dive Skills and Drills
2.2.2.8 (A) Required Dive Skills and Drills for a GUE Fundamentals - Recreational Rating
a. Must be able to swim at least 300 yds/275 m in less than 14 minutes without stopping.
This test should be conducted in a swimsuit and, where necessary, appropriate thermal
protection.
b. Must be able to swim a distance of at least 50 ft/15 m on a breath hold while submerged.

I suppose it's possible there is some instructor variation, but she was pretty unequivocal about it... I asked for tips prior to class because I made the same assumption based on reading the Standards, and she was very quick to say that it was ok to float up.
Quote from her text: "The swim is breath hold and distance - so theoretically you do not have to be under water the full distance. At the surface and on the same breath hold is perfectly fine."

Friends who did GUE classes with different instructors recently had the same experience - staying fully submerged was not required for them either in Fundies or Cave 1 (so that's been the interpretation from three different instructors in the past two years).

I 100% agree that the Standards need to be clarified, one way or the other - it's uncharacteristically open to interpretation.

Long story short, it's the typical GUE answer: ask your instructor (but if you're debating whether to pursue GUE, don't let breath hold swim test anxiety hold you back)

The breath hold swim test does NOT require you to stay fully submerged underwater. I don't know if it did at one point and they changed it, but as long as you keep your face underwater, it is ok if you float to the top. Emphasis on BREATH HOLD.

This wasn't the case during my fundies. I had to take the test multiple times because I kept popping to the surface and was told I need to be completely submerged the entire time. We also didn't have a wall to push off of which made the whole thing really stressful. I only managed to pass it on the second to last day and it might have been a bit generous on the side of the instructor. I ended up failing the class anyway so it didn't matter.

When I take it again, I'll make sure I can do the distance fully submerged without pushing off a wall.

Interesting - sounds like there is different interpretation depending on the instructor. In my case, it was set out clearly in advance that floating up was ok for everyone in the class.
Hopefully GUE HQ can clarify / standardize at some point.

I suppose it's possible there is some instructor variation, but she was pretty unequivocal about it... I asked for tips prior to class because I made the same assumption based on reading the Standards, and she was very quick to say that it was ok to float up.
Quote from her text: "The swim is breath hold and distance - so theoretically you do not have to be under water the full distance. At the surface and on the same breath hold is perfectly fine."

Friends who did GUE classes with different instructors recently had the same experience - staying fully submerged was not required for them either in Fundies or Cave 1 (so that's been the interpretation from three different instructors in the past two years).

I 100% agree that the Standards need to be clarified, one way or the other - it's uncharacteristically open to interpretation.

Long story short, it's the typical GUE answer: ask your instructor (but if you're debating whether to pursue GUE, don't let breath hold swim test anxiety hold you back)
I had to do it fully submerged. In fact, the instructor had another GUE diver help me with technique and doing a good duck dive etc. It took me a few attempts before I got it. I have wondered what would be done in colder water and no pool access. Maybe, they worked out the surface swim breath hold as a compromise or something.

Hmm, the plot thickens...

@mer and @kierentec - any chance you could give us your interpretations as to whether it is acceptable to float up during breath hold swim test?

If the standards are unclear then I would encourage you to submit a formal RFC. I have sent in two on other topics and the GUE Training Council does take such requests from members seriously (although actual updates to the standards may take a long time).

The last time I did a GUE course swim test the breath hold portion was in a pool and had to be fully underwater. But that was some years ago so there may have been changes since.

If the standards are unclear then I would encourage you to submit a formal RFC. I have sent in two on other topics and the GUE Training Council does take such requests from members seriously (although actual updates to the standards may take a long time).
C'mon, don't ruin it for me! I'm taking the test in a month and would love to not have to remain submerged!

Seriously though it would be nice to know since I'm working with a swim coach to get prepped. I guess I'll ask my instructor.

C'mon, don't ruin it for me! I'm taking the test in a month and would love to not have to remain submerged!

Seriously though it would be nice to know since I'm working with a swim coach to get prepped. I guess I'll ask my instructor.
Honestly, don't sweat it. I am not a graceful (let alone good) swimmer, so I was big time in my head about not passing the swim test.

Assuming you're a healthy individual, watch a few Youtube videos on how to "pull and glide" swimming underwater - emphasis on the glide. Go to your local pool and spend some time practicing a big pulling stroke and long glide, only reloading once your momentum stops.

I'd also watch a few videos on freediving breath hold training, especially on CO2 tolerance as you can quickly train up in just a few days using CO2 tables or an app like STAmina apnea trainer. Learning how long you can push yourself once the urge to breath kicks in (it will surprise you) will turn the underwater portion of the test into childs' play.

I can dig up some recommendations if you cant find any good videos on youtube.

Just submitted an RFC - thanks for the suggestion, Nick.

mje: if your instructor wants you to stay fully submerged, one thing that I found helped was going right to the bottom (this was practice in a 6' pool) and following the bottom pretty closely, with venting breaths to let air out of your lungs. Full lungs will bring you back up.

Here is another good Youtube video:

some of the videos recommend pulling straight down with your arms, but I find it easier to pull to the side like breaststroke. probably more efficient to go straight down, but the unnatural motion and effort triggers a breathing reflex for me that i'm still working to overcome.
allowing time to glide after pulling is key. without fins, almost all of your forward propulsion will be coming from your arms.

and here is a video of what is clearly an alien swimming 100m in one breath using the proper technique:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom