Fundamentals 1 & 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just had 2 Fundamentals classes in raleigh, one split weekend (5 day) and one 4 day traditional. Both yielded better divers and a high level of passes at both levels (including myself as i was interning the split weekend class).

I think the flexibility is good for reaching more students and matching both styles of learning for students.
the class i worked had a wide range of prior diving experience, with different strengths and weaknesses. The important thing is they came together as a team and executed it with Determination and Drive.

I also took the TDI Intro to Tech class right after my AOW but in all fairness the only thing I really learned was how to put the rig together.
Isn't Intro to Tech the same as Fundies? (in terms of skills taught and content, not trying to start a quality of instruction debate here). I'm going to assume you did Fundies because you're looking at tech/cave courses in the GUE curriculum (?)

Isn't Intro to Tech the same as Fundies? (in terms of skills taught and content, not trying to start a quality of instruction debate here). I'm going to assume you did Fundies because you're looking at tech/cave courses in the GUE curriculum (?)

Yes, they are very comparable.

Yes, they are very comparable.
The concept seems similar, but looking at the TDI course standard the process of becoming an instructor is very different, the class seems a lot shorter (min 6 instructional hours vs 30 - though it isn't really 1:1 comparable) and the standards for passes seem to be somewhat vague. Based on this it appears to be much more instructor dependent as to exactly what you learn and what the criteria for passing is. Is it more nailed down than it looks?

The concept seems similar, but looking at the TDI course standard the process of becoming an instructor is very different, the class seems a lot shorter (min 6 instructional hours vs 30 - though it isn't really 1:1 comparable) and the standards for passes seem to be somewhat vague. Based on this it appears to be much more instructor dependent as to exactly what you learn and what the criteria for passing is. Is it more nailed down than it looks?

Everything you said pretty much sums it up, but he did say "excluding quality of instruction". I am sure there are instructors who give a more in-depth and stringent intro to tech course, but from what I have seen that is a difference between intro and fundies. Intro is more like an introduction to technical techniques where as long as you perform that tasks relatively well you will pass. Fundies requires a higher degree of precision and execution in order to get the pass. In terms of skills covered, S-drill, valve drills, propulsion, no mask swims, ascents, etc they are basically the same.

intro to tech classes often incorporate stage/deco bottle carrying and gas switches. Fundamentals doesn't.

intro to tech classes often incorporate stage/deco bottle carrying and gas switches. Fundamentals doesn't.

AJ, what intro to tech courses include stage/deco bottles and gas switching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stand corrected. Granted I have only seen a few intro to tech classes, but never knew any did stage/deco bottle work. I guess it really depends on the instructor.

I think thats the issue. You really don't know what you're gunna get.

With Fundamentals, you can be fairly sure that you're going to get the standard-issue curriculum for all the instructors. Delivery might be different, but content is the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom