:) Fun question : How deep have you gone on single tank ? What's your record ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove the Blue Hole on Guam I couple of times when I first moved there, so about 135 ft. on an aluminum 80. Other than that, I've never dove deeper than 100 ft. on a single tank.

-Mitch

Guam has some deep dives. When I moved there, the first boat I went out on dove Crevice. The pre-dive briefing began with "We'll be diving to 135' on our first dive..." Then there's the shipwrecks, the cormoran at about 110', there's another one whose name escapes me at 120' and of course, Blue Hole. When I took my wreck diving class there with MDA they told me it would also be a deep diving course, due to the depths the wrecks were at. Alot of people poo-poo the diving on Guam, and when you look at what's around it, Palau, Yap and Truk, it is a bit lacking, but when you put it up against the rest of the world, it's not so bad.

Just out of curiosity where did you rent a 120 in Cozumel, what dive op did you use? I've been wanting to do this dive but refuse to use a single 80.
This dive was with Living Underwater which offers 95s and 120s. 6 min of 10' deco with my Suunto but we did 8 min because of another diver's computer (another Suunto). On an 80, the dive is usually down through the hole and back up the reef, but on our dive after going through the hole we spent a considerable amount of time drifting along the wall at depth before ascending.

Besides Living Underwater, Liquid Blue is another excellent dive op that offers 120s.

126' with 120cf, 111' with 80cf.

I tend to avoid >100' and I take generally take doubles if I expect to be close.

I've been to 151 on an AL80 a few times. The sound of the bubbles leaving for the surface from that depth is entrancing. I do have a buddy who has been to 400 on a single AL80 filled with air. He said he was narced out of his guord. I cant in good conscience make these claims without stating that testing your limits is NOT a safe activity in which to engage yourself.

Although I appreciate your question of curiosity, It really is out of place because it could encourage some bad practices. I'm guilty of breaking the 40m rule. Sometimes by an obscene amount. But those dives were after being trained in deep diving, with another diver, and with backup gas slung (most of the time). And even then, the narcosis can make foolish folks of anyone. The times I have gone deep were for a very specific reason in trying to get a very specific shot. Even this is no excuse for ignoring the limits because goal-oriented dives will get you in trouble. If you focus on the goal instead of the safety, limits get pushed.

There is nothing inherently wrong with going below 40m but it takes the right training, planning, gas management, gear, and understanding decompression theory and practice. Risk increases with depth. You should clearly understand this and never make the decision to go deeper once at depth. By then, your decision making processes are impaired by narcosis. Plan the dive, dive the plan, and always be willing to turn the dive for any reason.

OK, now for my follow-up question... When and where have you been encouraged by the operator to exceed 40m? This has happened to me on two different dives:

165-180 feet on the San Francisco Maru in Truk Lagoon. They do this as a single tank dive on a regular basis.
150-160 feet - to see the biggest sea fan I've ever seen in Palau. They do this as a single tank dive on a regular basis.

Where else has anyone had this experience?

I also am curious as to why you ask this question? The question itself predisposes to the "adventure" of depth, which could be quite costly in terms of life and health. Have you ever heard of a guy named Hope Root? In the 1960s depth was something divers attained as a badge of honor; now, depth is known to kill people. Think about it, and what going there on a single tank is worth.

SeaRat

When and where have you been encouraged by the operator to exceed 40m?

In the Red Sea, on the MV Tala . . . they encouraged me, and provided me with double 80's full of 21/35, and a 50% deco bottle. All of which, I might add, I was more or less certified to use :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom