full suit or shorty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Key Largo can get cold. I did a dive last February where the water temp was 67 and the air tem was 56! No joke.

Next time - drysuit.

I snorkeled in Bahia Honda last December in a shorty.. water temp was 72... WAYYY too cold. Water temp up here in Connecticut is 72 right now and I dive with a 5 and I'm comfortable. So we bought microprene full suits and our next snorkeling trip (December 31) was much more comfortable. Actually asked the girl at the park gate what the water temperature was.. "I don't know. I know it's really cold, though, like 72" Oh, honey, you don't know what cold is. I did a checkout dive in the beginning of december in 55 degree water. :)

I got cold after a series of 3-4 dives a day in key largo last just wearing just a 3mm suit. Id go with a 5mm. Maybe hood.

I wear a dive skin in the caribean.
It's not the dive but the boat ride where I can get cold so a poncho fleece with a hood is great for keeping me warm while I dry off on the boat run back to base.
After a lot of dives I did feel that the water was no longer to hot when I went in but it is still close to bath temp. Yes I do have a fair amount of natural insulation and I do not feel the cold much.

Go for a 3mm full suit, keep the jellies etc off.

And now you know. Everybody has different tolerance levels for water. I had to remind myself of this while reading the other posts.

Me, I usually wear just a Microprene in the Caribbean. Even in Cozumel last January and 79 degree water it was all I needed. Now when it gets to about 75 degrees I dig out the 5 mil full suit, and below 70 I wear a 5 mil hooded vest over that.

I used to do the shorty thing down in Bonaire, but one shore dive and the surge had me knocked into some brain coral---OUCH. Now it's full suit all the time.

I have been a full suit diver since I took my OW certification dives and a clumsy classmate lost buoyancy and pushed me (in my shorty) down onto the coral, giving me a knee scrape that took forever to heal.

I am very cold tolerant, and I did, oh, maybe 150 or more Caribbean dives happily clad in a 0.5 mm full suit until it gave up and went baggy on me. I replaced it with a 3 mm. That wprked fine, but I had to add a little more weight, which I did not like.

If I were in Key Largo in December, though, I would probably bring my 5 mm.

ckjacques53198:
I'm trying to decide between a full 3mm wetsuit and a shorty for carribean diving (key largo in december).
Shorties are for jet skiers. If you're gonna wear a suit, wear a suit. I used a 7mil long in Key Largo last Dec. 3 mil may well be fine, 5 mil would have been better for me I think.

I started this post because I'm newly certified and have only dived in new england water. I did checkout dives in 50 deg water wearing 7mm from head to toe. I only own a 7mm full suit so I wanted suggestions on what everyone wears in florida and the carribean. I guess it just depends from person to person. I've ruled out the shorty.

Go full, more protection from the elements and that does not mean just temprature.

By the way, I have heard many people say that the longer they have been diving and the more dives they do, the more likely to get cold. Many divemasters dive wear several mm more neoprene than the occasional diver.

ckjacques53198:
I started this post because I'm newly certified and have only dived in new england water. I did checkout dives in 50 deg water wearing 7mm from head to toe. I only own a 7mm full suit so I wanted suggestions on what everyone wears in florida and the carribean. I guess it just depends from person to person. I've ruled out the shorty.
Yeah it does vary a lot between divers. Glad you ruled out the shorty. Scrapes on your legs and arms are not good and do happen - on boat ladders, etc. Can even lead to bad infections. I like my ankles covered, too - light, nylon socks.

Charlie59:
Go full, more protection from the elements and that does not mean just temprature.

By the way, I have heard many people say that the longer they have been diving and the more dives they do, the more likely to get cold. Many divemasters dive wear several mm more neoprene than the occasional diver.
Yep, when I was new, I'd dive a 3 mil on water I now prefer heavier. I think newbies burn thru air and calories faster, moving around more, etc. I'm not a good diver now, but I have slowed my air & movements down.

As a newbie who certified in 50 degree water, I bet you'll be fine in the 3 mil if the surface weather is nice. Carry it and the 7 mil, so you can change on any day if you felt chilled. Wearing a good cap and jacket on SI helps a lot, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom