full suit or shorty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mislav:
Go with the full suit. I used to belong to a shorty camp, but I have seen the light. :)

It is wise to have your body protected from jellyfish, fireworms and who knows what else you may accidentally come in contact with.

Also, once you begin to dive on a more regular basis you discover that there's no such thing as the warm water. Or is it just me? :wink:
No, it's not just you. It was 82 in Bonaire. I wore a 3mm (skin underneath) and a 1 mm hood. I got cold on some dives. I really think I need a hooded vest or else a 5/3 for the Caribbean.

Thanks everyone. I think Ill go with 5/3 full suit and bring a 3mm hood. I like the idea of having some sort of barrier between me and the critters.

I wear a full 3mm in the Carib. with my microprene hood, mostly cause I don't want to take a chance on getting cold. Of course I will be doing 3-5 dives a day.

I'm big on the shorty, but I guess it depends how much diving exactly you are doing. If its one day, two dives, then personally a shorty should be fine (jellies aside). If its 3/4/5 days of 2/3 dives, then certainly the full is necessary.

People make good points for a full suit. I use a shorty in the 82-86 degrees around here, and like it because it is easy to get on and off and I like the feel of the water. I can't imagine wearing a hood in the tropics, though... I want to have the ocean touching at least some part of my body in that nice warm water!

I can't imagine wearing a hood
I agree. A hood is overkill. Only you know your body, though.

I also have a long-sleeve shorty, a 2mm, and I like it a lot. It was my suit of choice in Belize last January, and it kept me comfortable for about a week of diving in 80+ degree water (I'd also brought a 3mm full, which I only used once, on a night dive).

Don't know how the Keys compare in terms of temp, though. And I agree that there's a risk because the knees and shins are exposed.

Wow, I was starting to think I was a bit "freaky" for my affinity for the shorty. However, I don't seem to get cold easily (blame the extra layer of "insulation", and my wife has mentioned that I'm a "heat generator") so each must decide for themselves. I simply have never been cold diving the Carib or the Gulf of Mexico where waters are typically 82+. And I can't even imagine wearing headgear in those temps. But to each his own...

Full.

Think of it like this, you won't overheat in a full as opposed to a shorty, but the full will protect you better.

So, you know, full.

J

I almost always wear something on my head. I probably won't don my full hood in Hawaii next month but I have a beanie- a thin neoprene "half hood." It's very stylish...

I thought I was the only one who got cold- I'm planning to bring my full and shorty 3 mils just in case I want to layer... Phew! I'm not a freak! Yay!

Back
Top Bottom