Full fills on HP Steel Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had great HP fills from Pinnacles in Novato.

I drop off my tanks on the way to lunch and pick them up afterwards, or even the next day. They fill, let 'em cool and then top off for me. Plus, the always check the pressure before clipping some more holes in my fill card.

Thanks to all for the information. Cheers.

I tried Chuck's suggestion at Aquarius pouring a bit of cool water on tanks at the end of fill to keep tanks cool and it made a 200 psi improvement. I like getting my fills a Aquarius because it is quick and now spending a few minutes cooling the tank off give me a full 3450 fill. (they already fill them in a cold water bath) You can get it filled and cool it yourself and takes less than 10 minutes. Bruce and the people at Aquarius are nice people.

Hahaha,

Peter this is a setup, you are trying to get me to tell the truth... LOL I already got in trouble when another member on the board blasted me for my excitement about working at a dive shop.

Now you want me to tell the truth of how much PSI I really put into my Worthington's. No way dude, the scuba police will get me if I share that info. :D

So how about I tell you this, I have more PSI than I can blow your way... :mooner:

Mike...

Hopefully your dive shop job comes with a discount on tanks, because after time you're gonna need it.

Regularly over filling your tanks past their rated pressure stresses the metal. Eventually to the point that its fatigued and wont pass a hydro. Im more than happy with anything above 3400 when I hit the water. I don't need my tank to be sitting at 3700 when at 70F though. Id rather have them last a while. Like Peter said, I always have my doubles if I need more gas.

Regularly over filling your tanks past their rated pressure stresses the metal. Eventually to the point that its fatigued and wont pass a hydro.

I am okay with only getting 10,000 fills out of my tanks because I overfilled them "towards" test pressure. *shrugs* Test pressure is over 5,500psi.

The 100,000 cycle life expectancy of a tank at rated pressure is a little more I would ever need.

I don't think there's a direct formula for this. Nor do I think saying a regular 300-500 PSI over fill will cut 90,000 fills.... All I know is if you push the tanks there's no going back and that 10,000 could end up even being just 1,000.

So Brandon,

Does this mean that since I have been underfilled for the first year of owning my tanks, I am safe to push to my 3800 psi?

Okay so I can only get 5,000 dives in before I need to buy new tanks. I have six steel high pressure tanks (one set are doubled) that will always get there hydos and vis checks ontime.

Yes there is a required formula BTW. 10,000 cycles at test pressure which is something like 5,800 psi. The specs are available if you want to find them.

sadly underfilling doesnt make the metal stronger. Theres also the chance of stressing the burst disks more over time as well. Something else I dont need to have burst underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom